7th Pay Commission News: Here is good news for all Central Government employees who are having school-going children! Yes…the report of the 7th CPC said that the rate of Child Education Allowance has been increased 50%! This is a great opportunity for Central staff to get admission their children in quality educational institutions.
Child Education Allowance for Central Govt Employees 2021
(Children Education Allowance or Child Education Allowance (CEA) & Hostel Subsidy (HS) as per 7th CPC)
This educational benefit scheme name was ‘Reimbursement of Tuition Fee‘ before 6th CPC – After 6th CPC, the name of the same scheme changed to “Educational Assistance”.
Child Education Allowance Eligibility Age Limit
The Children Education Allowance (CEA) and Hostel Subsidy (HS) are paid to Central Government employees to take care of school education and hostel facility of their children.
The great first step for the scheme started from the Second CPC. The 2nd Central Pay Commission recommended the scheme for Central Government employees, called “Reimbursement of Tuition Fee“. The educational assistance scheme was introduced and implemented with effect from March 1962.
The scheme was modified by the 3rd Pay Commission and also further liberalized by the 4th and 5th Pay Commission. At last, the 6th Pay Commission given a high priority to this scheme. Recommendations on this scheme were most welcome by the employees working under Central Government. The Central Government also accepted the recommendations and implemented them with effect from September 2008.
Child Education Allowance Exemption
- Children Education Allowance (CEA): Rs. 100 per month per child up to a maximum of two children
- Hostel Subsidy (HS): Rs. 300 per month per child up to a maximum of two children
- Click to know more…
Highlights of Child Education Allowance
Recommendations of 7th CPC on Children Education Allowance & Hostel Subsidy
We all know very well the recommendations of the 7th CPC on CEA and HS have been approved by the Government and implemented with effect from 1st July 2017. The CEA increased from the existing level of Rs. 1500 to Rs. 2250 with the multiplication factor 1.5. And the HS also revised from Rs. 4500 to Rs. 6750.
7th CPC Recommendations and Government Decisions
- The revised rates and procedures are applicable with effect from 1.7.2017.
- The amount of CEA fixed per child Rs. 2250 per month.
- The amount of HS fixed per child Rs. 6750 per month.
- Both are Government servants, only one of them can avail reimbursement.
- The rates automatically raised by 25% every time the Dearness Allowance (DA) reaches 50%.
- CEA & HS is doubled for differently-abled children.
- Reimbursement allowed only after the completion of the Financial Year.
- A bonafide certificate from school studied during the previous academic year for CEA.
- A bonafide certificate with detailed expenditure for lodging and boarding for HS.
- CEA and HS Scheme is also applicable for Railway Employees.
- CEA is applicable for children from class nursery to twelfth, including classes 11th and 12th held by Junior Colleges or schools affiliated to Universities or Boards of Education.
- CEA can be claimed only for the two eldest surviving children with the exception that in case the second childbirth results in twins/multiple births.
- The residential educational institution located at least 50 kilometers from the residence of the Government servant.
- The annual amount of CEA for the academic year 2017-18 will be Rs. 24,750 and Hostel Subsidy will be Rs. 74,250.
- The commission has strongly objected to extend the allowance beyond Class XII.
- There is no time limit for claiming child education allowance.
- The Central Govt issued orders, rules, and clarification from time to time in this regard.
- CEA and HS application forms are available for download in word and pdf format
Child Education Allowance Form PDF Download
- Application for Children Education Allowance (CEA) and Hostel Subsidy (HS) PDF Download
- Reimbursement claim form download with details
- Children Education Allowance: Format of Certificate from School
- Proforma for Reimbursement – Click to Download
- Certificate from the Head of Institution / School – Format
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance: Self Declaration – Click to read
Bonafide Certificate for Child Education Allowance
Child Education Allowance Before 7th CPC
6th and 7th CPC Rates of Children Education Allowance and Hostel Subsidy
The rates were applicable for reimbursement of the tuition fee in the 6th pay commission, Rs. 40 per month for Class1st to 10th and Rs. 50 per month for class 11th and 12th Standard per child. And for disabled and mentally retarded children, Rs. 100 for 1st to 12th Standard. Hostel Subsidy for children Rs. 300 from class 1st to 12th Std.
In the 6th CPC, the rates of CEA increased to Rs. 1000 per month per child (Rs. 12000 per year). And Hostel Subsidy also increased to Rs. 3000 per month per child (Rs. 36000 per year). The rates automatically increased by 25% whenever Dearness allowance (DA) goes up by 50%.
The first revision of CEA and HS in January 2011, when the rate of Dearness allowance increased to 51%, and the second revision held in January 2014. The rate of CEA and HS revised two times and increased to Rs.1500 and Rs. 4500 respectively.
Recommendation of JCM Staff Side on Children Education Allowance – Click to read the full story
How to get CEA Rs. 54,000 per year?
Central Government accepted the recommendation of the 7th pay Commission on Children Education Allowance without any change. A Central Government employee can claim the school fee and other expenses for two children. [Click to read continue]
Child Education Allowance Eligibility
REIMBURSEMENT OF CEA & HS – FOR DIVYAANG CHILDREN
Eligibility criteria of a Divyaang Children for reimbursement of CEA…
REIMBURSEMENT OF HOSTEL SUBSIDY – ELIGIBILITY OF AMOUNT
The amount of ceiling of hostel subsidy is…
REIMBURSEMENT OF CEA & HS – ELIGIBILITY OF AMOUNT
Eligibility amount of Children for reimbursement of CEA…
REIMBURSEMENT OF CEA & HS – ELIGIBILITY OF CHILDREN
In case of failure of sterilization operation,…
Child Education Allowance for Nursery
CLASS ELIGIBILITY OF CEA & HS
Reimbursement of CEA and Hostel Subsidy shall be applicable for children from class nursery to twelfth…
FAQ on CEA and Hostel Subsidy
REIMBURSEMENT CEA & HS – CLARIFICATION ON LEAVE OR SUSPENSION
The Children Education Allowance or hostel subsidy shall be admissible to a Govt. servant while he/she is on duty…
UPPER AGE LIMIT FOR CEA & HS
The upper age limit for Divyaang children has been set at 22 years…
REIMBURSEMENT OF CEA & HS – IN CASE OF RETIREMENT…
In case of retirement, discharge, dismissal, or removal from service, clarification was given…
CEA CLARIFICATION – IF A GOVERNMENT SERVANT DIES…
If a Government servant dies while in service, the Children Education Allowance or hostel subsidy…
CLARIFICATION ON CEA – CHILD FAILS IN A PARTICULAR CLASS
The reimbursement of Children Education Allowance and Hostel Subsidy shall have no nexus…
CEA & HS – DISTANCE OF RESIDENTIAL EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION
Clarification on distance for Residential Educational Institution studied children’s reimbursement…
REIMBURSEMENT OF CEA & HS – BOTH ARE GOVERNMENT SERVANTS
Clarification on Husband and wife both are Government Servants, reimbursement…
CEA & HS – PERIOD FOR REIMBURSEMENT
Quarterly, Half-Yearly, or Annual reimbursement of Children Education Allowance…
REIMBURSEMENT OF CEA & HS – DA IMPACT
Increasing DA over 25%, the amount of Children Education Allowance…
- CEA & HS PAYABLE FOR CITIZENS OF NEPAL AND BHUTAN – CLARIFICATION
- CEA is payable for the children of all Central Government employees including citizens of Nepal and Bhutan…
Children Education Allowance rules
Children Education Allowance – An Overview
The Children Education allowance was introduced by the 6th pay commission with effect from 1.9.2008. In the background of escalation of school fees and other expenses connected with the education of Children, the present scheme has been a big relief for the Government employees.
Presently the allowance is admissible for two children, for studying in a recognized school up to XII standard. The maximum ceiling is stipulated at Rs.18000/- since this allowance had been hiked by 50% because of the DA component in salary having been crossed 100% on 1.1.2014. We suggest doubling this allowance and increasing the same by 50 % whenever the DA crosses over by 50%
The insistence of receipt for each and every expense to claim the allowance is a cumbersome procedure, which serves no purpose at all. In order to avoid a probable misuse, the employer may be asked to produce an affidavit to the effect this child/children were bonafide students of the school. The production of receipt may be dispensed with.
We also suggest that the scheme may be extended to cover children studying for Graduate/Post Graduate and Professional courses. This suggestion is being made in view of the huge expenses involved for the children’s higher studies, especially in the background of the Government with… from the “higher education sector and allowing private institutions to come up and extract exorbitant changes for … courses.
Since the quantum of allowance is fixed with a ceiling on maximum, our suggestion … increase the coverage.
Latest Developments on Child Education Allowance
List of the latest news about Child Education Allowance in 7th Central Pay Commission Order
- Clarifications on Children Education Allowance – DoPT on 1 July 2021 July 3, 2021
- Children Education Allowance – Hostel Subsidy for the year 2019-2020 May 26, 2020
- Children Education Allowance – Rates, Reimbursement and Forms September 23, 2019
- Children Education Facilitation Allowance to GDS September 20, 2019
- 7th Pay Commission Children Education Allowance – Eligibility, Reimbursement, Rates and Download Forms September 18, 2019
- Children Education Allowance for CG Employees – An Overview August 26, 2019
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance – Procedures 2019 August 21, 2019
- 7th Pay Commission Children Education Allowance – Consolidated instructions to Railway Employees August 17, 2019
- Top 20 Updates on 7th CPC Children Education Allowance July 29, 2019
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance – Central Govt Orders and clarifications July 9, 2019
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance (CEA) and Hostel Subsidy – Consolidated instructions issued by DoPT June 17, 2019
- Children Education Allowance Admissible for Suspension Employees? June 17, 2019
- CEA is eligible for the Citizens of Nepal and Bhutan June 17, 2019
- Studying through Correspondence is eligible for CEA and Hostel Subsidy? June 17, 2019
- CEA and Hostel Subsidy for Retiring Employees June 17, 2019
- CEA Clarification on a Govt Servant Dies While in Service June 17, 2019
- Is CEA Connected with the Performance of Child? June 17, 2019
- Reimbursement of Children Education Allowance and Hostel Subsidy – CG Employees Should Know the Key Points June 17, 2019
- Husband and Wife Govt Servants – What about CEA and HS? June 17, 2019
- What is the Ceiling of CEA for Divyaang children? June 17, 2019
- What type of Certificate or Self- Attestation to Produce for Claiming Hostel Subsidy? June 17, 2019
- What type of Certificate or Self- Attestation to Produce for Claiming CEA? June 17, 2019
- What is maximum reimbursement amount of CEA and HS? June 17, 2019
- How many children eligible for CEA & HS? June 17, 2019
- 7th Pay Commission Children Education Allowance – Orders, Circulars and Clarifications June 12, 2019
- 7th Pay Commission Children Education Allowance June 11, 2019
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance Comparative Analysis with 6th CPC June 11, 2019
- Children Education Allowance Income Tax Online Tools for CG Employees June 8, 2019
- Reimbursement of Tuition Fee to Children of Martyrs February 15, 2019
- Children Education Allowance to Railway Employees – Orders issued August 19, 2018
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance: PCDA Clarification issued on 1.8.2018 August 8, 2018
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance – DoPT Orders Dated 17.7.2018 July 18, 2018
- Need Uniform Format to Claim Children Education Allowance – NFIR June 6, 2018
- Amount Fixed for Reimbursement of CEA 2250 pm May 11, 2018
- Clarification on Children Education Allowances – DOP May 3, 2018
- 7th CPC CEA: Total Claim for Academic Year 2017-18 April 20, 2018
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance: Self Declaration April 18, 2018
- 7th CPC CEA: Certificate from the Head of Institution / School – Format April 18, 2018
- 7th CPC CEA – Proforma for Re-Imbursement April 18, 2018
- Guidelines for Submission of Children Education Allowance Claim April 18, 2018
- Educational Assistance to College-going children of Non-Gazetted Railway Board Staff April 2, 2018
- Clarification on Reimbursement of Tuition Fee and Hostel Charges March 31, 2018
- Educational concessions to the children of Armed Forces Officers and PBORs March 22, 2018
- New Methodology of Application and Schedule of Payment towards Children Education Allowance March 12, 2018
- Guidelines for Payment of Children Education Allowance as per 7th CPC March 12, 2018
- Children Education Allowance Reimbursement Form Download March 12, 2018
- Implementation of CEA for differently abled children of government employees – Railway Board Orders February 6, 2018
- Children Education Allowance – Format of Certificate from School January 16, 2018
- Grant of CEA to Two Children in case of a Child being totally mentally disabled – NFIR December 19, 2017
- Claiming of Children Education Allowance & Hostel Subsidy November 20, 2017
- Clarification orders on Children Education Allowance – DOPT issued on 31.10.2017 November 1, 2017
- Grant of Children Education Allowance and Hostel Subsidy to Railway Employees October 15, 2017
- Educational Concession to Children of Armed Forces Officers/PBORs – DESW Order September 16, 2017
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance – Orders issued by DoPT on 16.8.2017 August 17, 2017
- Cabinet Decision on 7th CPC Children Education Allowance June 29, 2017
- Need relaxation for third child for Children Education Allowance – NFIR April 10, 2017
- E-Receipts as a proof of payment of fee may be treated as original for Children Education Allowance October 7, 2016
- Clarification on Children Education Allowance (CEA) – Dopt orders on 22.8.2016 August 23, 2016
- Claiming Children education Allowance is made simple in 7th Pay Commission January 12, 2016
- Eligibility criteria of a school for Reimbursement of Children Education Allowance – Clarification issued by CGDA December 22, 2015
- Simplified procedure for claiming Children Education Allowance: Revised Procedure: JCOS/ OR – PCDA(CC) Instruction December 17, 2015
- Children Education Allowance: Submission of original bills with details for reimbursement November 5, 2015
- Children of Government servants should study only in Government schools – Allahabad High Court August 25, 2015
- Children Education Allowance -Frequently asked questions – Railway Board Orders on 1.6.2015 July 6, 2015
- Clarification on Children Education Allowance as FAQ issued by Railway Board on 1.6.2015 June 9, 2015
- FAQ on Children Education Allowance, OTA / NDA, Honorarium/Fee, Leave – Dopt Order April 2015 April 29, 2015
- Railway Board orders – Grant of Children Education allowance/Hostel subsidy to third child October 2, 2014
- Grant of Children Education Allowance – Hostel Subsidy to third child October 2, 2014
- Recommendation of JCM Staff Side on Children Education Allowance June 25, 2014
- Income Tax Exemption on Children Education Allowance June 24, 2014
- Children Education Allowance – Frequently asked questions (13.05.2014) May 14, 2014
- Will 7th CPC Add Lustre to the Children Education Allowance Scheme..? May 6, 2014
- DA Over 100% – Clarification on increase in certain allowances by further 25% w.e.f. 1.1.2014 April 28, 2014
- 100% D.A from January 2014 – Some Allowances and Advances Rise by 25% April 14, 2014
- FAQ on Children Education Allowance Scheme – Dopt Orders on 1.4.2014 April 1, 2014
Child Education Allowance Order PDF Download
What is CEA?
CEA is the short form of Children Education Allowance. This is Educational Financial Assistance for the children of Central Government employees.
Who is eligible to get CEA?
All Central Government employees with school-going children are eligible to avail of Children Education Allowance.
What is reimbursement of CEA?
Reimbursement of CEA is the scheme of refund the amount for spending on the education of children.
What is the ‘Tuition Fee’?
‘Tuition Fee’ is the earlier reimbursement education allowance scheme for Central Government employees. CEA has introduced in the 6th CPC.
What is the rate of CEA after the 7th CPC?
The rate of Children Education Allowance is Rs. 2250 per month per child and the Hostel Subsidy is Rs. 6750 per month per child.
What is the last date for Children’s Education Allowance 2021?
You can claim the Children Education Allowance (CEA) with required documents at your head of office up to 30 April 2021.
Child Education Allowance or Children Education Allowance which is correct ?
Children Education Allowance is correct. As per the Government notification, the word Children Education Allowance is correct.
What is the age limit for Child Education Allowance?
CEA is granted in accordance with the studies of the children, not mentioned the minimum age limit of the child.