7th CPC Recommendations on Increment
INCREMENT FOR CENTRAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES
“Pay Hike (Pay Increment) is the most attractive word among employees working in Government Services”.
Needless to say that the most powerful keyword among the Central government employees, because a pay hike once in a year consolidated according to their basic pay. It is also a consolation even they are not getting promotion for years.
Government employees are getting two types of increments, one annual increment and another one is promotional increment.
ANNUAL INCREMENT: Annual increment is grating to all group of Central Government employees on 1st January or 1st July of every year (previously in 6th CPC, there was one date for annual increment, 1st July of every year)
PROMOTIONAL INCREMENT: While fixation of pay on promotion or macp, there will be an increment. That is called promotional increment.
INCREMENT DAY: 1st January or 1st July
LEAVE ON INCREMENT DAY…WHAT SAYS RULE?
As per the FR and SR Rules, If a Government employee is on leave, the increased pay will be drawn only from the date on which he resume duty.
The 7th Pay Commission has recommended on the rate of annual increment is being retained at 3 percent
RATE OF INCREMENT: The annual increment granted 3% of basic pay in 6th CPC. The 7th Pay Commission also retained the rate of 3% as annual increment. However, there is no calculation for 3% of basic pay. Value of next cell in the same pay level in the Pay Matrix Table.
INCREMENT DATE: 7th CPC recommended two dates (1st January and 1st July of every year) for granting increment to all CG Employees with effect from 1.1.2016. Provided that an employee shall be entitled to only one annual increment either on 1st January or 1st July depending on the date of his appointment, promotion or grant of financial upgradation.
The increment in respect of an employee appointed or promoted or granted financial upgradation including upgradation under Modified Assured Career Progression Scheme (MACPS) during the period between the 2nd day of January and 1st day of July (both inclusive) shall be granted on 1st day of January and the increment in respect of an employee appointed or promoted or granted financial upgradation including upgradation under MACPS during the period between the 2nd day of July and 1st day of January (both inclusive) shall be granted on 1st day of July.
Annual Increment Calculation Method
Increments in Pay Matrix: Annual Increment Calculation Method Prescribed by 7th Central Pay Commission as follows…
Illustration: An employee in the Basic Pay of 32300 in Level 4 will move vertically down the same Level in the cells and on grant of increment, his basic pay will be 33300.
WITHHOLDING ANNUAL INCREMENTS OF NON-PERFORMERS AFTER 20 YEARS
There is a widespread perception that increments as well as upward movement in the hierarchy happen as a matter of course.
The perception is that grant of MACP, although subject to the employee attaining the laid down threshold of performance, is taken for granted.
This Commission believes that employees who do not meet the laid down performance criterion should not be allowed to earn future annual increments.
The Commission is therefore proposing withholding of annual increments in the case of those employees who are not able to meet the benchmark either for MACP or a regular promotion within the first 20 years of their service.
This will act as a deterrent for complacent and inefficient employees. However, since this is not a penalty, the norms for penal action in disciplinary cases involving withholding increments will not be applicable in such cases.
This will be treated as an “efficiency bar”. Additionally, for such employees there could be an option to leave service on similar terms and conditions as prescribed for voluntary retirement.
Grant of First Annual Increment in Recruits Pay : The main demand of the Services in this connection is that the existing stipulation that next increment will be granted from the date of attestation or mustering be done away with.
They have pointed out that trades whose skill requirements are low and whose entry level qualifications are lower invariably get attested or mustered earlier and thus are entitled to the next annual increment earlier than trades whose training period is longer.
Analysis and Recommendations : The Commission is of the view that grant of next increment in the case of recruits should not place those with higher entry level qualifications at a disadvantage.
The Commission, accordingly recommends that the date of enrolment should be reckoned for the purposes of first increment for all recruits who are finally successfully attested/mustered.
NC JCM STAFF SIDE SUGGESTED TO 7TH PAY COMMISSION ON INCREMENT.
Increment: Whether the present system of annual increment on 1st July of every year uniformly in case of all employees has served its purpose or not? Whether any changes are required?
No. In fact the single date increment system has brought in anomalies, which were discussed at length at the National Anomaly Committee, without reaching an agreement.
In our Opinion, the commission must recommend, for administrative expediency, two specific dates as increment dates. Viz. 1st January and 1st July.
Those recruited/appointed/promoted during the period between 1st Jan and 30th June, will have their increment date on 1st January and those recruited/appointed/promoted between Ist July and 31st December will have it on Ist July next.
This apart the Commission is required to specifically recommend that those who retire on 30th June or 31st December are granted one increment on the last day of their service.
What should be the reasonable quantum of annual increment?
The reasonable quantum of increment should not be less than 5% of the basic pay or the rate of increment agreed upon through bilateral discussion in the Banking industry, whichever is higher.
Whether there should be a provision of variable increments at a rate higher than the normal annual increment in case of high achievers? If so, what should be transparent and objective parameters to assess high achievement, which could be uniformly applied across Central Government?
Without defining the term “high achiever” and prescribing transparent and objective parameters to assess high achievement the system of variable increments at a rate higher than normal annual increments will be misused on subjective assessment of high achievements. For these reasons and for what we have stated in reply to question No. 2.3 the scheme of variable increment is not desirable.
Annual rate of increment @ 5% of the pay.
Fixation of pay on promotion = 2 increments and difference of pay between present and promotional posts (minimum Rs.3000).
Top Developments on 7th CPC Increment
- Increment issue to those retiring on 30th June – SLP dismissed by Supreme Court August 20, 2019 Read more...
- 7th CPC Increment: Increment Day for CG Employees July 1, 2019 Read more...
- 7th CPC Increment Calculator for Central Govt Employees June 27, 2019 Read more...
- 7th Pay Commission Annual Increment Rates and Calculation June 25, 2019 Read more...
- 7th Pay Commission Increment – Recommendations on Increment Calculation June 14, 2019 Read more...
- 7th Pay Commission News: Increment Anomaly Calculator June 11, 2019 Read more...
- 2 Additional Increments to Nursing Staff under 7th Pay Commission – Railway Board Orders June 5, 2019 Read more...
- Rule 10 of Army Officers and Air Force Officers Pay Rules – MoD Orders May 3, 2019 Read more...
- 2 Additional Increments to Nursing Personnel – NFIR December 15, 2018 Read more...
- Finmin Clarification on Increment Date in Rule 10 of CCS (RP) Rules August 2, 2018 Read more...
- TN 7th Pay Commission : Pay Matrix Annual Increment Calculation October 12, 2017 Read more...
- 7th CPC Bunching Anomaly : Denial of Bunching Increment July 6, 2017 Read more...
- 7th CPC Increment Anomaly – Annual Increment Rate Less than 3% in Pay Matrix July 6, 2017 Read more...
- Annual increment – Benchmark for MACP or Regular Promotion November 23, 2016 Read more...
- Date of Birth on 1st January 1956 forced him to retire a month advance affects his 7th CPC benefits June 12, 2016 Read more...
- Dorai focus on two crucial issues of 50% DA Merger and 3% Increment April 25, 2016 Read more...
- OROP Table 72 – Disability / Liberalized Disability Element for 100% Disability for Commissioned Officers of Territorial Army February 5, 2016 Read more...
- 2 Increment days proposal ignored by 7th Pay Commission December 23, 2015 Read more...
- Is attendance compulsory for CG employees on the implementation day (01.01.2016) of the 7th CPC recommendations December 21, 2015 Read more...
- Performance is the main constraint on Annual Increment in 7th CPC December 15, 2015 Read more...