Transport Allowance Rates as per 7th Pay Commission
Transport Allowance is an important salary element for government employees. A remarkable amount is being added to the segment of allowances in the salary structure! We have here compiled some important pieces of information for government employees on the topic of Transport Allowance.
Transport Allowance Chart from July 2021
|Rate of Transport Allowance from 1st July 2021|
|Pay Matrix Level||Higher TPTA Cities||Other Places|
|Pay Matrix Level 9 and above||Rs. 7200 + 31% 7200||Rs. 3600 + 31% 3600|
|Pay Matrix Level 3 to Level 8||Rs. 3600 + 31% 3600||Rs. 1800 + 31% 1800|
|Pay Matrix Level 1 and Level 2||Rs. 1350 + 31% 1350||Rs. 900 + 31% 900|
Travelling Allowance Rates 7th Pay Commission
According to the accepted recommendations of the 7th pay commission, the percentage of Dearness Allowance is also calculated on the Transport Allowance and provides both the elements as Transport Allowance so, the Transport Allowance enhanced from July 2021 as given below:
Pay Matrix Level 1 and 2
- Other Cities: 900 + DA
- TPTA Cities: 1350 + DA
Pay Matrix Level 3 and 8
- Other Cities: 1800 + DA
- TPTA Cities: 3600 + DA
Pay Matrix Level 9 & above
- Other Cities: 3600 + DA
- TPTA Cities: 7200 + DA
- Click to view more details
List of Higher TPTA Cities
What are TPTA Cities?
- 19 Cities are classified under Higher TPTA Cities. 1. Ahmedabad (UA), 2. Bengaluru (UA), 3. Chennai (UA), 4. Coimbatore (UA), 5. Delhi (UA), 6. Ghaziabad (UA), 7. Greater Mumbai (UA), 8. Hyderabad (UA), 9. Indore (UA), 10. Jaipur (UA), 11. Kanpur (UA), 12. Kochi (UA), 13. Kolkata (UA), 14. Kozhikode (UA), 15. Lucknow (UA), 16. Nagpur (UA), 17. Patna (UA), 18. Pune (UA), 19. Surat (UA).
Transport Allowance in Lockdown
The Central Government has notified to hold Dearness allowance for 18 months for all CG employees due to COVID 19 pandemic crisis. [Click to know more]. The Transport Allowance is granted the same amount for the freezing period of 18 months from 1.1.2020 to 30.6.2021.
1st July 2020 to 30th June 2021 = Transport Allowance + 17% of TA
Admissibility of Transport Allowance during Lockdown
Transport Allowance for the employees working from ‘Work From Home during the lockdown period is crucial. One of the rules says a minimum one-day attendance in a whole month for granting Transport Allowance.
Is ‘Work from Home’ a physical attendance for duty?
This is the first time to announce all Government employees be allotted as ‘Work from home’ in India. The guidelines of ‘Work from Home’ for government employees is not clear in any order. [Click to read the order]
Double Transport Allowance out of the 50 percent 35 percent ceiling relating to Divyang – Finmin Order 21.2.2022 [Click to Download PDF]
The Cabinet Committee approves today (21.10.2021) a 3% additional Dearness Allowance with effect from 1st July 2021 to all groups of Central Government employees and pensioners. [Click to know more]
|RATE OF TRANSPORT ALLOWANCE|
|Pay Level (Grade Pay)||Higher TPTA Cities*||Other Places**|
|Level 9 and Above (GP 5400 PB-2 and Above)||Rs. 7200 + DA||Rs. 3600 + DA|
|Level 3 to Level 8 (GP 2000 to GP 4800)||Rs. 3600 + DA||Rs. 1800 + DA|
|Level 1 and Level 2(GP 1800 and GP 1900)||Rs. 1350 + DA||Rs. 900 + DA|
*Pay matrix level 14 and above = Rs. 15750 + DA or Availing Official car
What is the procedure to avail of the benefit of Double TA?
Physically disabled employees as mentioned in DoE Order dated 31st August 1978 visually impaired, orthopedically handicapped, deaf and dumb/hearing impaired spinal deformity, shall continue to be paid Transport Allowance at double the normal rates. Employees who have visually impaired, orthopedically handicapped, deaf and dumb/hearing impaired, spinal deformity. Employees will get a recommendation certificate from the Head of the orthopedics department, Head of the Ophthalmologist Department, and Head of the ENT Department of a Government Civil Hospital.
What is the 6th CPC 7440 issue and when settled?
In the 6th CPC regime, employees who are drawing pay in the band Rs.7440 and above in Grade Pay of below 4200, were eligible for a higher Transport allowance of Rs.1600 instead of Rs.600 in A1/A Cities and Rs.800 instead of Rs.400 in Other Places.
The 7th pay commission did not mention this aspect in its report. After long deliberation, Govt accepted the demand and issued orders on 2.8.2017.
The order said, Central Government employees who are drawing pay of Rs.24200 & above in Pay Level 1 & 2 of the Pay Matrix, shall be eligible for grant of Transport Allowance @ Rs.3600/- plus D.A. thereon at the cities mentioned in the Annexure to the above-cited OM. and @ Rs.1800 plus D.A. thereon at all Other Places.
TA Chart for Level 3 and Above
The below table has described the changes in TA rates for pay matrix level 1 and level 2
|7th CPC Level||TPTA Cities||Other Cities|
|Level-1 (GP 1800) and Level-2 (GP 1900)|
|Level – 1||1350 + DA||900 + DA|
|3600 + DA (24200 and Above)||1800 + DA (24200 and Above)|
|Level – 2||1350 + DA||900 + DA|
|3600 + DA (24200 and Above)||1800 + DA (24200 and Above)|
|Level-3 (GP 2000) to Level-8 (GP 4200)|
|Level – 3||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 4||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 5||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 6||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 7||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 8||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level-9 and Above (GP 5400 PB-2 and Above)|
|Level – 9||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level – 10||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level – 11||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level – 12||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level – 13||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
TA Table for Levels 1 and 2
Transport Allowance for Matrix Pay Level 1 and Pay Level 2
Rs. 24,200 – Matrix Pay in Levels 1 and 2 is a magic number!
Transport allowance is one of the major elements in salary package for Central Govt employees including Railway employees. Transport allowance is paid annually from a minimum of Rs. 12,000 to a maximum of more than one lakh according to their grade and post. [Click to read continue]
TA on During Leave
The allowance will not be admissible for the calendar month(s) wholly covered by leaves.
TA on During deputation abroad
The allowance will not be admissible during the period of deputation abroad.
TA on During Tour
If an employee is absent from the Headquarters /Place of Posting for full calendar months due to a tour, he/she will not be entitled to Transport Allowance. During that/those calendar months. However, if the absence does not cover any calendar month(s) in full, Transport Allowance will be admissible for a full month.
TA on During Duty
During training treated as duty. The allowance may be granted during such training, if no Transport Facility, Traveling Allowance, or Daily Allowance is provided for attending the training institute. During the Official tour of his training course, the allowance will not be admissible when the period of the tour covers the whole calendar month. Also, during training abroad, no Transport will be admissible when the period of such training covers the whole calendar month.
TA on During Inspection
During inspection/survey duty by Members of Special Parties within the city but exceeding 8 km. From the Headquarters or during continuous field duty either in or outside the Headquarters: Transport Allowance is given to compensate for the expenditure incurred for commuting both to and from between the place of duty and residence. In case when one gets Road Mileage/Daily Allowance or free transportation for field/inspection/survey duty or tour for a period covering the whole calendar month, he/she will not be entitled to Transport Allowance during that calendar month.
TA on Vacation Leave
To vacation staff: Vacation staff is entitled to Transport Allowance provided no free transport facility is given to such staff. However, the allowance shall not be admissible when such a vacation spell, including all kinds of Leave, covers the whole calendar month.
TA on Suspension Period
During Suspension: As a Government employee under suspension is not required to attend office, he/she is not entitled to Transport Allowance during suspension where suspension covers the full calendar month(s). This position will hold well even if the suspension period is finally treated as duty. Where the suspension period covers a calendar month partially, Transport Allowance payable for that month shall be reduced proportionately.
Admissible Travelling allowance
To Whom and When Travelling allowance is not admissible?
1. Central government employees who have been provided the Government facility of Staff Car Transport.
2. Absence from duty during a full calendar month, will not be admissible Transport allowance.
Central Government constituted a Committee under the Chairmanship of the Finance Secretary to examine the recommendations of the 7th CPC on Allowances. The Allowance Committee submitted its report on 27 April 2017 to Government.
Finmin Issued Detailed Orders about Transport Allowance on 7.7.2017 – Click to read the full story
Amendment order regarding Transport Allowance on 2.8.2017 – Click to View the Order
DoPT & Finmin Orders on TA
More Finance Ministry and DoPT issued orders regarding the Transport Allowance and are compiled here for your ready reference…
|Transport Allowance to deaf and dumb employees – Click to read Finmin Order|
|Transport Allowance on Leave, Training, Tour, and Suspension – Click to Read Full Story|
|Transport Allowance with Dearness Allowance Chart from 1.1.2018 – Click to Download|
|Comparison of Transport Allowance between 6th and 7th CPC – Click to Download|
|Finmin Issued Detailed Orders about Transport Allowance on 7.7.2017 – Click to read full story|
|Allowance Committee Report on Transport Allowance – Click to read full story|
|JCM Staff Side suggestion on Transport Allowance – Click to read full story|
|7th CPC Transport Allowance Rate Chart – Click to view the chart|
|Check Your Transport Allowance using Our Exclusive Calculator – Try it now…|
|Amendment order regarding Transport Allowance on 2.8.2017 (7440 issue settled) – Click to View the Order|
The below table describes the Transport Allowance for Pay Matrix Level 1 and Level 2 after the release of the Finance Ministry Clarification…(Calculation for DA taken as 4%)
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance with DA(5%) Chart w.e.f. 1.7.2017
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance with DA(7%) Chart w.e.f. 1.1.2018
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance with DA(9%) Chart w.e.f. 1.7.2018
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance – Finmin and DoPT Orders
TA Eligibility Rules
Transport Allowance Eligibility Rules for the month of April 2020 to CG Employees
Transport Allowance Admissibility Rules for the month of April 2020 to Central Government Employees. Admissibility of Transport Allowance to Central Government Employees in lockdown period of April 2020. [Click to read more]
List of Other Cities for TA
Other than TPTA Cities, all cities and towns are classified as ‘Other Cities’. Faridabad, Gurgaon, Ghaziabad and Noida are entitled to Transport Allowance at the rates applicable to ‘Other Cities’. [Click to read more]
Top Developments on 7th CPC TA
- Double Transport Allowance to Persons with Disabilities Employed in Central Government September 17, 2022Read more...
- Double Transport Allowance out of the 50 per cent 35 per cent ceiling relating to Divyangjan February 22, 2022Read more...
- Transport Allowance for Pay Matrix Level 14 – Recovery of Excess Payment Issue November 25, 2021Read more...
- Inclusion of HRA and Transport Allowance for the purpose of calculating Overtime Allowance February 8, 2021Read more...
- Clarification on Transport Allowance during Nation-wide Lockdown to Railway Employees December 7, 2020Read more...
- Clarification on Transport Allowance During Lockdown – BPMS Demands to Withdraw December 7, 2020Read more...
- Transport Allowance during lockdown for Central Government Employees December 2, 2020Read more...
- Check List for Temporary Duty Claim July 15, 2020Read more...
- Check List for Permanent Duty Claim July 15, 2020Read more...
- Payment of Transport Allowance to the Employees of National Library Kolkata July 10, 2020Read more...
- Payment of Transport Allowance for the month of April 2020 May 6, 2020Read more...
- 7th Pay Commission Transport Allowance Latest News – 17% DA Table from July 2019 October 11, 2019Read more...
- 7th Pay Commission: Rates of Transport Allowance June 10, 2019Read more...
- Eligibility of Staff Car/ Higher Rate of Transport Allowance to SAG Rank IOFS Officers May 28, 2019Read more...
- Clarification on Transport Allowance to Railway Employees February 27, 2019Read more...
- Transport Allowance to persons with disabilities employed in Central Government August 31, 2018Read more...
- Grant of Transport Allowance to Service Officers and PBOR August 31, 2018Read more...
- TA double to persons with disabilities – Finmin Clarification on 12.7.2018 July 12, 2018Read more...
- DA on Transport Allowance at Pre-revised Rates – Noting of DoE June 19, 2018Read more...
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance to Railway employees – NFIR June 16, 2018Read more...
- Transport Allowance to the Railway employees – Deprival of higher rate to those working in pay Level 1 & 2 April 6, 2018Read more...
- Transport Allowance (TPTA) : Report of the Committee on Allowances October 24, 2017Read more...
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance 7440 issue settled August 14, 2017Read more...
- 7th CPC TA/DA, LTC and PT Claims – Clarification Orders July 22, 2017Read more...
- Analysis of comparison of the transport allowances of 6th CPC and 7th CPC July 15, 2017Read more...
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance – Finmin Issued Orders on 7.7.2017 July 8, 2017Read more...
- 7th CPC Allowances Gazette Notification : Transport Allowance (TPTA) and Travelling Allowance July 7, 2017Read more...
- Date of implementation of the allowances has created lot of anguish and serious discontentment in the CG Employees – NC JCM Secretary writes to Cabinet Secretary July 3, 2017Read more...
- Transport Allowance Ready Reckoner for both Sixth CPC and 7th CPC July 1, 2017Read more...
- Transport Allowance will be lower in 7th CPC June 30, 2017Read more...
- Cabinet Decision on 7th CPC Transport Allowance June 29, 2017Read more...
- Grant of Transport Allowance at double the normal rates to deaf and dumb employees of Railways March 10, 2017Read more...
- Grant of Transport Allowance at double the normal to deaf and dumb employees of Central Government January 18, 2017Read more...
- Clarification on admissibility of Transport Allowance in the cases where the officers are drawing Grade Pay of 10,000 August 22, 2016Read more...
- Travel by Premium Trains on LTC, Official Duty, Tour, Training, Transfer – Clarification orders issued by PCAFYS August 28, 2015Read more...
- Grant of Transport Allowance to Railway employees on the basis of revised classification of cities/towns/localities – AIRF August 13, 2015Read more...
- Finmin orders on granting Transport Allowance to Central Government employees as per census 2011 August 7, 2015Read more...
- Based on the Census of 2011 HRA and TA increased for Central Government employees June 5, 2015Read more...
- Revision of classification cities for the purpose of House Rent Allowance and Transport Allowance to Central Government employees May 31, 2015Read more...
- Foreign travel of Government officers – Clarification issued by Finance Ministry November 10, 2014Read more...
- Transport Allowance and Travelling Allowance Rules at a glance October 24, 2014Read more...
- Confederation writes to Finance Ministry regarding Transport Allowance to regulate to Faridabad Gurgaon, Ghaziabad and Nodia cities at par with Delhi rates August 28, 2014Read more...
- JCM Staff Side suggestion on Transport Allowance June 25, 2014Read more...
- Transport Allowance to Central Government Employees at Faridabad, Ghaziabad Gurgaon, and Noida rates applicable to ‘Other Places’ March 10, 2014Read more...
- Granting of Transport Allowance to Deaf and Dumb Employees at double the normal Rates February 19, 2014Read more...
Transport Allowance for Levels 1 and 2 (24200)
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance 7 July 2017 PDF Download
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance 13 July 2017 PDF
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance 19 July 2017 PDF
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance 2 August 2017 PDF
Transport Allowance during Lockdown Period
Categories of Disabilities for Double TA
The Central Government employees with the following categories of disabilities as mentioned in Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPwD) Act 2016 of D/o Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (EPwD), shall be paid Transport Allowance at double the normal rates subject to fulfillment of the stipulated conditions. [Click to read more]
What is Transport Allowance in Central Govt Services?
Transport allowance is given to all employees working in Central Govt services for the expenditure on travel from residence to office and back. Employees are using various modes of travel to come to the workplace and return.
What is the classification of Cities?
Transport allowance is divided into three segments according to their pay matrix level. The cities and towns are classified into two categories on the basis of population for the purpose of Transport Allowance. One is ‘Higher TPTA Cities’ and another one is ‘Other Places’. Note: List of Cities/Towns eligible for Higher Rates of Transport Allowance on Re-Classification of Cities/Towns as per Census 2011 (w.e.f. 1.4.2015)
What is the rate of Transport allowance?
The Transport Allowance is common to all categories of Central Government Employees with effect from 1.7.2017. (Recommendations on Revised Pay Structure of 7th pay commission was implemented w.e.f. 1.1.2016).
Which are all TPTA Cities?
19 Cities are classified under Higher TPTA Cities. 1. Ahmedabad (UA), 2. Bengaluru (UA), 3. Chennai (UA), 4. Coimbatore (UA), 5. Delhi (UA), 6. Ghaziabad (UA), 7. Greater Mumbai (UA), 8. Hyderabad (UA), 9. Indore (UA), 10. Jaipur (UA), 11. Kanpur (UA), 12. Kochi (UA), 13. Kolkata (UA), 14. Kozhikode (UA), 15. Lucknow (UA), 16. Nagpur (UA), 17. Patna (UA), 18. Pune (UA), 19. Surat (UA).
What is TA Rates for Deaf and Dumb employees?
Blind and Orthopaedically handicapped (Deaf and Dumb) employees will continue to be paid at a double rate, subject to a minimum of Rs.2,250 plus DA.
What is the definition of Handicapped Employees?
Who has a minimum of 40 percent permanent partial disability of either one or both upper limbs or 50 percent permanent partial disability of one or both upper limbs or one or both lower limbs?
Which are all Other Places?
‘Other Places’ means, all cities, and towns other than TPTA Cities. Central Government Employees posted at all ‘Other Places’ including Faridabad, Gurgaon, Ghaziabad & Noida.
What is TA Rates for Officers availing official car facility?
Officers in Pay Level 14 and higher, who are entitled to the use of an official car, will have the option to avail themselves of the existing facility or to draw the TPTA at the rate of Rs.15,750 plus Dearness Allowance (DA) per month.
Also Check: Central Government Pay Matrix Table 2022 PDF