Transport Allowance Rates as per 7th Pay Commission
The 7th Pay Commission recognizes the Transport Allowance as a crucial element of the salary package for government personnel. This allowance is designed to reimburse staff for expenses incurred during their commute to and from work. The rate of Travel Allowance (TA) is based on the employee’s rank or position in the public service, with the location of their workplace being a significant factor in determining their Transport Allowance (T.A.). Our organization has collated essential details concerning the Transport Allowance for government workers.
Transport Allowance Chart from July 2021
Please find below the updated Transport Allowance Chart effective from July 2021. The rates of Transport Allowance for Higher TPTA Cities and Other Places are as follows:
– For Pay Matrix Level 9 and above, the rate is Rs. 7200 + 31% of Rs. 7200 for Higher TPTA Cities, and Rs. 3600 + 31% of Rs. 3600 for Other Places.
– For Pay Matrix Level 3 to Level 8, the rate is Rs. 3600 + 31% of Rs. 3600 for Higher TPTA Cities, and Rs. 1800 + 31% of Rs. 1800 for Other Places.
– For Pay Matrix Level 1 and Level 2, the rate is Rs. 1350 + 31% of Rs. 1350 for Higher TPTA Cities, and Rs. 900 + 31% of Rs. 900 for Other Places.
Please note that these rates are effective from July 1st, 2021.
|Rate of Transport Allowance from 1st July 2021|
|Pay Matrix Level||Higher TPTA Cities||Other Places|
|Pay Matrix Level 9 and above||Rs. 7200 + 31% 7200||Rs. 3600 + 31% 3600|
|Pay Matrix Level 3 to Level 8||Rs. 3600 + 31% 3600||Rs. 1800 + 31% 1800|
|Pay Matrix Level 1 and Level 2||Rs. 1350 + 31% 1350||Rs. 900 + 31% 900|
Transport Allowance Rates 7th Pay Commission
According to the accepted recommendations of the 7th pay commission, the percentage of Dearness Allowance is also calculated on the Transport Allowance and provides both the elements as Transport Allowance so, the Transport Allowance enhanced from July 2021 as given below:
Pay Matrix Level 1 and 2
- Other Cities: 900 + DA
- TPTA Cities: 1350 + DA
Pay Matrix Level 3 and 8
- Other Cities: 1800 + DA
- TPTA Cities: 3600 + DA
Pay Matrix Level 9 & above
- Other Cities: 3600 + DA
- TPTA Cities: 7200 + DA
- Click to view more details
List of Higher TPTA Cities
What are TPTA Cities?
A group of cities known as Higher TPTA Cities has been identified. These cities, numbering 19 in total, are: Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Ghaziabad, Greater Mumbai, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Kanpur, Kochi, Kolkata, Kozhikode, Lucknow, Nagpur, Patna, Pune, and Surat.
Transport Allowance in Lockdown
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic crisis, the Central Government has announced that Dearness Allowance for all CG employees will be held for 18 months. As a result, the Transport Allowance will remain at the same amount for the duration of the freezing period from January 1st, 2020 to June 30th, 2021. From July 1st, 2020 to June 30th, 2021, employees will receive their Transport Allowance plus an additional 17% of TA. It is important to note that Transport Allowance remains crucial for employees working from home during the lockdown period. One of the requirements for granting Transport Allowance is that employees must have a minimum of one-day attendance in a whole month.
1st July 2020 to 30th June 2021 = Transport Allowance + 17% of TA
Is ‘Work from Home’ a physical attendance for duty?
“Does ‘Work from Home’ constitute physical attendance for duty? The Indian government has recently announced that all government employees will be permitted to work from home. However, the guidelines surrounding this new policy remain unclear. To access the official order, please click on the following link. [Click to read the order]
Transport Allowance Orders PDF Download 2022
You may download the PDF file containing the Transport Allowance Orders for the year 2022. As per the directive from the Ministry of Finance on February 21, 2022, eligible Divyang employees are entitled to receive double the standard transport allowance, up to a maximum of 50 percent or 35 percent ceiling. Please click on the link provided to access the PDF file. [Click to Download PDF]
42 Percent of DA from January 2023
The Cabinet Committee has given its approval for an extra 4% Dearness Allowance to be granted to all categories of Central Government employees and pensioners, effective from January 1st, 2023. This increase will bring the overall Dearness Allowance percentage to 42%. Accordingly, the TA also revised from 1.1.2023. [Click to know more]
Rate of Transport Allowance for CG Employees
The allowance for transportation for Central Government employees is determined by a rate table. The rate table provides different rates based on the employee’s pay level and the location of their workplace. For higher transportation rates in cities with a higher cost of living (Higher TPTA Cities), employees in Pay Level 9 and above (Grade Pay of 5400 PB-2 and above) are eligible for Rs. 7200 plus DA, while those in Pay Level 3 to Level 8 (Grade Pay of 2000 to GP 4800) receive Rs. 3600 plus DA. Employees in Pay Level 1 and Level 2 (Grade Pay of 1800 and GP 1900) are eligible for Rs. 1350 plus DA in Higher TPTA Cities. For other locations, employees in Pay Level 9 and above receive Rs. 3600 plus DA, while those in Pay Level 3 to Level 8 receive Rs. 1800 plus DA. Employees in Pay Level 1 and Level 2 receive Rs. 900 plus DA in other places. For those in pay matrix level 14 and above, they can either avail of an official car or receive Rs. 15750 plus DA.
|TA Rate Table|
|Pay Level (Grade Pay)||Higher TPTA Cities*||Other Places**|
|Level 9 and Above (GP 5400 PB-2 and Above)||Rs. 7200 + DA||Rs. 3600 + DA|
|Level 3 to Level 8 (GP 2000 to GP 4800)||Rs. 3600 + DA||Rs. 1800 + DA|
|Level 1 and Level 2(GP 1800 and GP 1900)||Rs. 1350 + DA||Rs. 900 + DA|
*Pay matrix level 14 and above = Rs. 15750 + DA or Availing Official car
What is the procedure to avail of the benefit of Double TA?
To avail of the benefit of Double TA, employees who are physically disabled as per the DoE Order dated 31st August 1978 – including those who are visually impaired, orthopedically handicapped, deaf and dumb/hearing impaired spinal deformity – will continue to receive Transport Allowance at double the normal rates. These employees must obtain a recommendation certificate from the Head of the Orthopedics Department, Head of the Ophthalmologist Department, and Head of the ENT Department of a Government Civil Hospital.
What is the 6th CPC 7440 issue and when settled?
During the 6th Central Pay Commission (CPC), employees who earned a pay of Rs. 7440 or more in Grade Pay below 4200 were entitled to a higher transport allowance of Rs. 1600 for A1/A cities and Rs. 800 for other places, instead of Rs. 600 and Rs. 400, respectively. The 7th pay commission did not address this aspect in its report, but after considerable discussion, the government accepted the demand and issued orders on August 2, 2017. According to the order, central government employees with a pay of Rs. 24200 or more in Pay Level 1 and 2 of the Pay Matrix will receive a transport allowance of Rs. 3600 plus DA for cities listed in the annexure to the OM, and Rs. 1800 plus DA for all other places.
TA Chart for Level 3 and Above
The below table has described the changes in TA rates for pay matrix level 1 and level 2
|7th CPC Level||TPTA Cities||Other Cities|
|Level-1 (GP 1800) and Level-2 (GP 1900)|
|Level – 1||1350 + DA||900 + DA|
|3600 + DA (24200 and Above)||1800 + DA (24200 and Above)|
|Level – 2||1350 + DA||900 + DA|
|3600 + DA (24200 and Above)||1800 + DA (24200 and Above)|
|Level-3 (GP 2000) to Level-8 (GP 4200)|
|Level – 3||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 4||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 5||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 6||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 7||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 8||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level-9 and Above (GP 5400 PB-2 and Above)|
|Level – 9||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level – 10||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level – 11||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level – 12||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level – 13||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
TA Table for Levels 1 and 2
The TA Table for Levels 1 and 2 outlines the Transport Allowance for Matrix Pay Level 1 and Pay Level 2, which is a significant component of the salary package for Central Government employees, including Railway employees. The Matrix Pay in Levels 1 and 2 is a crucial factor in determining the magic number of Rs. 24,200. The amount of Transport Allowance varies based on the employee’s grade and position, ranging from a minimum of Rs. 12,000 to more than one lakh per annum. – Click to read and continue
TA on During Leave
The allowance will not be admissible for the calendar month(s) wholly covered by leaves.
TA on During deputation abroad
The allowance will not be admissible during the period of deputation abroad.
TA on During Tour
If an employee is absent from the Headquarters /Place of Posting for full calendar months due to a tour, he/she will not be entitled to Transport Allowance. During that/those calendar months. However, if the absence does not cover any calendar month(s) in full, Transport Allowance will be admissible for a full month.
TA on During Duty
During training treated as duty. The allowance may be granted during such training, if no Transport Facility, Traveling Allowance, or Daily Allowance is provided for attending the training institute. During the Official tour of his training course, the allowance will not be admissible when the period of the tour covers the whole calendar month. Also, during training abroad, no Transport will be admissible when the period of such training covers the whole calendar month.
TA on During Inspection
During inspection/survey duty by Members of Special Parties within the city but exceeding 8 km. From the Headquarters or during continuous field duty either in or outside the Headquarters: Transport Allowance is given to compensate for the expenditure incurred for commuting both to and from between the place of duty and residence. In case when one gets Road Mileage/Daily Allowance or free transportation for field/inspection/survey duty or tour for a period covering the whole calendar month, he/she will not be entitled to Transport Allowance during that calendar month.
TA on Vacation Leave
To vacation staff: Vacation staff is entitled to Transport Allowance provided no free transport facility is given to such staff. However, the allowance shall not be admissible when such a vacation spell, including all kinds of Leave, covers the whole calendar month.
TA on Suspension Period
During Suspension: As a Government employee under suspension is not required to attend office, he/she is not entitled to Transport Allowance during suspension where suspension covers the full calendar month(s). This position will hold well even if the suspension period is finally treated as duty. Where the suspension period covers a calendar month partially, Transport Allowance payable for that month shall be reduced proportionately.
Admissible Travelling allowance
To Whom and When Travelling allowance is not admissible?
1. Central government employees who have been provided the Government facility of Staff Car Transport.
2. Absence from duty during a full calendar month, will not be admissible Transport allowance.
Central Government constituted a Committee under the Chairmanship of the Finance Secretary to examine the recommendations of the 7th CPC on Allowances. The Allowance Committee submitted its report on 27 April 2017 to Government.
Finmin Issued Detailed Orders about Transport Allowance on 7.7.2017 – Click to read the full story
Amendment order regarding Transport Allowance on 2.8.2017 – Click to View the Order
DoPT & Finmin Orders on TA
More Finance Ministry and DoPT issued orders regarding the Transport Allowance and are compiled here for your ready reference…
|Transport Allowance to deaf and dumb employees – Click to read Finmin Order|
|Transport Allowance on Leave, Training, Tour, and Suspension – Click to Read Full Story|
|Transport Allowance with Dearness Allowance Chart from 1.1.2018 – Click to Download|
|Comparison of Transport Allowance between 6th and 7th CPC – Click to Download|
|Finmin Issued Detailed Orders about Transport Allowance on 7.7.2017 – Click to read full story|
|Allowance Committee Report on Transport Allowance – Click to read full story|
|JCM Staff Side suggestion on Transport Allowance – Click to read full story|
|7th CPC Transport Allowance Rate Chart – Click to view the chart|
|Check Your Transport Allowance using Our Exclusive Calculator – Try it now…|
|Amendment order regarding Transport Allowance on 2.8.2017 (7440 issue settled) – Click to View the Order|
The below table describes the Transport Allowance for Pay Matrix Level 1 and Level 2 after the release of the Finance Ministry Clarification…(Calculation for DA taken as 4%)
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance with DA(5%) Chart w.e.f. 1.7.2017
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance with DA(7%) Chart w.e.f. 1.1.2018
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance with DA(9%) Chart w.e.f. 1.7.2018
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance – Finmin and DoPT Orders
TA Eligibility Rules
Transport Allowance Eligibility Rules for the Month of April 2020 to CG Employees
Transport Allowance Admissibility Rules for the month of April 2020 to Central Government Employees. Admissibility of Transport Allowance to Central Government Employees in the lockdown period of April 2020. [Click to read more]
List of Other Cities for TA
Other than TPTA Cities, all cities and towns are classified as ‘Other Cities’. Faridabad, Gurgaon, Ghaziabad, and Noida are entitled to Transport Allowance at the rates applicable to ‘Other Cities’. [Click to read more]
Top Developments on 7th CPC TA
- Eligibility of Staff Car/ Higher Rate of Transport Allowance to SAG Rank IOFS Officers June 14, 2023Read more...
- Double Transport Allowance to Physically Handicapped in Railway June 1, 2023Read more...
- Travel by Premium Trains on LTC, Official Duty, Tour, Training, Transfer – Clarification orders issued by PCAFYS April 3, 2023Read more...
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance – Finmin Implementation Order March 29, 2023Read more...
- Double, Additional Transport Allowance out of the 50%/35% ceiling relating to Divyangjan – Date of effect of Implementation March 27, 2023Read more...
- Double Transport Allowance to Persons with Disabilities Employed in Central Government September 17, 2022Read more...
- Double Transport Allowance out of the 50 per cent 35 per cent ceiling relating to Divyangjan February 22, 2022Read more...
- Transport Allowance for Pay Matrix Level 14 – Recovery of Excess Payment Issue November 25, 2021Read more...
- Inclusion of HRA and Transport Allowance for the purpose of calculating Overtime Allowance February 8, 2021Read more...
- Clarification on Transport Allowance during Nation-wide Lockdown to Railway Employees December 7, 2020Read more...
- Clarification on Transport Allowance During Lockdown – BPMS Demands to Withdraw December 7, 2020Read more...
- Transport Allowance during lockdown for Central Government Employees December 2, 2020Read more...
- Check List for Temporary Duty Claim July 15, 2020Read more...
- Check List for Permanent Duty Claim July 15, 2020Read more...
- Payment of Transport Allowance to the Employees of National Library Kolkata July 10, 2020Read more...
- Payment of Transport Allowance for the month of April 2020 May 6, 2020Read more...
- 7th Pay Commission Transport Allowance Latest News – 17% DA Table from July 2019 October 11, 2019Read more...
- 7th Pay Commission: Rates of Transport Allowance June 10, 2019Read more...
- Clarification on Transport Allowance to Railway Employees February 27, 2019Read more...
- Transport Allowance to persons with disabilities employed in Central Government August 31, 2018Read more...
- Grant of Transport Allowance to Service Officers and PBOR August 31, 2018Read more...
- TA double to persons with disabilities – Finmin Clarification on 12.7.2018 July 12, 2018Read more...
- DA on Transport Allowance at Pre-revised Rates – Noting of DoE June 19, 2018Read more...
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance to Railway employees – NFIR June 16, 2018Read more...
- Transport Allowance to the Railway employees – Deprival of higher rate to those working in pay Level 1 & 2 April 6, 2018Read more...
- Transport Allowance (TPTA) : Report of the Committee on Allowances October 24, 2017Read more...
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance 7440 issue settled August 14, 2017Read more...
- 7th CPC TA/DA, LTC and PT Claims – Clarification Orders July 22, 2017Read more...
- Analysis of comparison of the transport allowances of 6th CPC and 7th CPC July 15, 2017Read more...
- 7th CPC Allowances Gazette Notification : Transport Allowance (TPTA) and Travelling Allowance July 7, 2017Read more...
- Date of implementation of the allowances has created lot of anguish and serious discontentment in the CG Employees – NC JCM Secretary writes to Cabinet Secretary July 3, 2017Read more...
- Transport Allowance Ready Reckoner for both Sixth CPC and 7th CPC July 1, 2017Read more...
- Transport Allowance will be lower in 7th CPC June 30, 2017Read more...
- Cabinet Decision on 7th CPC Transport Allowance June 29, 2017Read more...
- Grant of Transport Allowance at double the normal rates to deaf and dumb employees of Railways March 10, 2017Read more...
- Grant of Transport Allowance at double the normal to deaf and dumb employees of Central Government January 18, 2017Read more...
- Clarification on admissibility of Transport Allowance in the cases where the officers are drawing Grade Pay of 10,000 August 22, 2016Read more...
- Grant of Transport Allowance to Railway employees on the basis of revised classification of cities/towns/localities – AIRF August 13, 2015Read more...
- Finmin orders on granting Transport Allowance to Central Government employees as per census 2011 August 7, 2015Read more...
- Based on the Census of 2011 HRA and TA increased for Central Government employees June 5, 2015Read more...
- Revision of classification cities for the purpose of House Rent Allowance and Transport Allowance to Central Government employees May 31, 2015Read more...
- Foreign travel of Government officers – Clarification issued by Finance Ministry November 10, 2014Read more...
- Transport Allowance and Travelling Allowance Rules at a glance October 24, 2014Read more...
- Confederation writes to Finance Ministry regarding Transport Allowance to regulate to Faridabad Gurgaon, Ghaziabad and Nodia cities at par with Delhi rates August 28, 2014Read more...
- JCM Staff Side suggestion on Transport Allowance June 25, 2014Read more...
- Transport Allowance to Central Government Employees at Faridabad, Ghaziabad Gurgaon, and Noida rates applicable to ‘Other Places’ March 10, 2014Read more...
- Granting of Transport Allowance to Deaf and Dumb Employees at double the normal Rates February 19, 2014Read more...
Transport Allowance for Levels 1 and 2 (24200)
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance 7 July 2017 PDF Download
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance 13 July 2017 PDF
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance 19 July 2017 PDF
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance 2 August 2017 PDF
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance 1 December 2020 PDF
Categories of Disabilities for Double TA
The Central Government employees with the following categories of disabilities as mentioned in Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPwD) Act 2016 of D/o Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (EPwD), shall be paid Transport Allowance at double the normal rates subject to fulfillment of the stipulated conditions. [Click to read more]
Irregularities in payment of Transport Allowance during nation-wide lockdown due to Covid-19 pandemic: Railway Board RBE No. 131/2022
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA/भारत सरकार
MINISTRY OF RAILWAY/ रेल मंत्रालय
(Railway Board) रेलवे बोर्ड
RBE No. 131/2022
New Delhi, dt. 17.10.2022
The General Manager, :
All Indian Railways & PUs.
Sub: Irregularities in payment of Transport Allowance during nation-wide lockdown due to Covid-19 pandemic.
Attention is invited to para 4(a) of Board’s letter dt. 03.08.2017(RBE No.80/2017) wherein it is stated that Transport Allowance will not be admissible for the calendar month(s) wholly covered by leave. Further, vide Ministry of Finance/ Department of Expenditure OM dated 01.12.2020, which has been circulated vide Board’s letter dated 03.12.2020 (RBE No.104/2020), the different situations during lockdown period under which Transport Allowance is not admissible have been clarified. During course of Audit it has been noted that irregular payments against Transport Allowance has been made by one of the Zonal Railway in violation of the clarifications communicated vide MoF/DoE OM dated 01.120.2020. In this context, it has further been recommended as under :-
“Railway Board may get the issue examined in various Zones/other offices, to assess whether similar nature of irregular payment towards Transport Allowance has been made, and effect recoveries under intimation to Audit”.
2. In view of the above Zonal Railways and PUs may assess the payments made against Transport Allowance to the employees during the nation-wide lockdown period and if any irregular payment has been made, remedial action may be taken to recover the same.
3 An action taken report may be furnished to Board’s office at the earliest.
What is Transport Allowance in Central Govt Services?
Transport allowance is given to all employees working in Central Govt services for the expenditure on travel from residence to office and back. Employees are using various modes of travel to come to the workplace and return.
What is the classification of Cities?
Transport allowance is divided into three segments according to their pay matrix level. The cities and towns are classified into two categories on the basis of population for the purpose of Transport Allowance. One is ‘Higher TPTA Cities’ and another one is ‘Other Places’. Note: List of Cities/Towns eligible for Higher Rates of Transport Allowance on Re-Classification of Cities/Towns as per Census 2011 (w.e.f. 1.4.2015)
What is the rate of Transport allowance?
The Transport Allowance is common to all categories of Central Government Employees with effect from 1.7.2017. (Recommendations on Revised Pay Structure of 7th pay commission was implemented w.e.f. 1.1.2016).
Which are all TPTA Cities?
19 Cities are classified under Higher TPTA Cities. 1. Ahmedabad (UA), 2. Bengaluru (UA), 3. Chennai (UA), 4. Coimbatore (UA), 5. Delhi (UA), 6. Ghaziabad (UA), 7. Greater Mumbai (UA), 8. Hyderabad (UA), 9. Indore (UA), 10. Jaipur (UA), 11. Kanpur (UA), 12. Kochi (UA), 13. Kolkata (UA), 14. Kozhikode (UA), 15. Lucknow (UA), 16. Nagpur (UA), 17. Patna (UA), 18. Pune (UA), 19. Surat (UA).
What is TA Rates for Deaf and Dumb employees?
Blind and Orthopaedically handicapped (Deaf and Dumb) employees will continue to be paid at a double rate, subject to a minimum of Rs.2,250 plus DA.
What is the definition of Handicapped Employees?
Who has a minimum of 40 percent permanent partial disability of either one or both upper limbs or 50 percent permanent partial disability of one or both upper limbs or one or both lower limbs?
Which are all Other Places?
‘Other Places’ means, all cities, and towns other than TPTA Cities. Central Government Employees posted at all ‘Other Places’ including Faridabad, Gurgaon, Ghaziabad & Noida.
What is TA Rates for Officers availing official car facility?
Officers in Pay Level 14 and higher, who are entitled to the use of an official car, will have the option to avail themselves of the existing facility or to draw the TPTA at the rate of Rs.15,750 plus Dearness Allowance (DA) per month.