7th Pay Commission Central Government Employees Group Insurance Scheme (CGEGIS) Benefit Table, Subscription Rates, Deductions, and Calculator – Group Insurance Scheme Calculation Table
Central Government Employees Group Insurance Scheme Calculator is used for finding the benefit of the fund value of the particular period. The CGEGIS Table Calculator for searching the maturity value of the fund in any previous period. CGEGIS Calculation Table 2019 available here in pdf format.
What is CGEGIS?
Central Government Employees Group Insurance Scheme (CGEGIS) is one of the savings with a secure plan for all groups of Central Government Employees. The scheme is mandatory and if an employee dies in service, the amount of insurance coverage provided to the nominee of the employee.
CGEGIS is intended to provide for the Central Government employees, at a meager amount and on a wholly contributory and self-financing basis, the double benefits of an insurance cover to help their families in the event of a death in service and a lump-sum payment to augment their resources on retirement.
CGEGIS Calculator – Check also: CGEGIS Table Benefit Calculator
7th Pay Commission Recommendations on CGEGIS
Subsequent to the implementation of the 3rd CPC recommendations, Central Government Employees’ Group Insurance Scheme (CGEGIS) was notified in 1980 and came into force w.e.f. 1 January 1982.
The scheme serves the twin objectives of (a) providing a lump-sum amount to the families in case of an employee’s death and (b) a lump-sum payment to the employee on cessation of employment, both on a wholly contributory and self-financing basis.
Present Rates of CGEGIS
CGEGIS Subscription Rates after 7th Pay Commission: The old subscription rates only continued for all Central Govt employees. The Govt not yet decided and published new revised rates of subscription for CGEGIS. The old subscription rate table is given below:
- 7th Pay Level 1 to Level 5: Rs. 30
- 7th Pay Level 6 to Level 9: Rs. 60
- 7th Pay Level 10 and above: Rs. 120
CGEGIS comprises a Savings Fund and an Insurance Fund in the ratio 70:30. The present rates of deduction, insured amount and savings units are as follows:
Table 1: Present Rates of CGEGIS
|Group||Monthly Deduction (Rs.)||Insurance Amount (Rs.)||No. of Units (for Savings)|
The value, in Rs., of each unit (for Savings), is published by the Ministry of Finance every year in the form of Tables of Benefits, and the total amount is worked out using the same depending upon when the employee joined the scheme and the year/month of cessation of membership.
Upon employee’s exit from the scheme, only the Savings amount, as applicable on the concerned date, is payable. In case of the demise of the employee, the Savings amount applicable on date plus the Insured amount is payable.
The Commission has received numerous representations from various stakeholders stating that the Monthly Deduction, as well as the Insurance Amount, have remained unchanged since 1990. In the present context, they are too low and should be increased.
Analysis and Recommendations
As a logical comparator, the Commission considered the rates under Army Group Insurance Fund (AGIF), which have become applicable w.e.f. 01.09.2013. These are as follows:
Table 2: Present Rates of AGIF
|Group||Monthly Deduction (Rs.)||Insurance Amount (Rs.)|
The Commission also took into view the fact that the pay of Defence personnel is by and large higher than that of Civilian employees of a comparable level. Hence, with suitable modifications for Civilian employees, the following rates of CGEGIS are recommended:
Table 3: Recommended Rates of CGEGIS
|7th Pay Level of Employee||Monthly Deduction (Rs.)||Insurance Amount (Rs.)|
|Pay Level 10 and above||5000||50,00,000|
|Pay Level 6 to 9||2500||25,00,000|
|Pay Level 1 to 5||1500||15,00,000|
The Commission also took note of the fact that the Tables of Benefits published by the Ministry of Finance are based on the mortality rate of 3.75 per thousand per annum up to 31.12.1987 and 3.60 per thousand per annum thereafter.
In its report (brought out in January 1997), the V CPC had pointed out that the mortality rate, life expectancy, and health delivery systems have improved over a period of time.
They had highlighted the need “for a detailed review of the current mortality rates with a view to revising the apportionment between the Savings and Insurance Funds.”
Since it was likely to take some time, they had recommended a ratio of Savings Fund to Insurance Fund of 75:25, with “appropriate machinery for a periodical review of the mortality rates and adjustment of the apportionment ratio.”
All three factors viz., mortality rate, life expectancy and health delivery systems have further improved over the course of nearly twenty years following the V CPC recommendations.
Accordingly, this Commission recommends that the ratio of Savings Fund to Insurance Fund be modified from the present 70:30 to 75:25, as an interim measure, pending a detailed review.
- It is also recommended that periodical reviews of mortality rates should be undertaken for suitable adjustment of the apportionment ratio. The Tables of Benefits may be modified accordingly.
Government Decision on CGEGIS
The Central Government has not agreed with the recommendations on CGEGIS. Even though the recommendation is highlighted the huge amount of insurance coverage for Central Govt employees (Rs. 15 to 50 lakhs), the subscription rates are too high!
As soon as possible, the Govt will introduce an updated scheme for all groups (a b c group) of CG employees.
CGEGIS News 2021
- CGEGIS 1980 – An Overview
- CGEGIS 1980 Table of Benefits – 1.4.2018 to 30.06.2018
- CGEGIS Table 2016 – Rs.15 per month per unit w.e.f. 1.1.1990 onwards
- CGEGIS Table 2016 – Subscription of Rs.10 per month per unit from 1.1.1982 to 31.12.1989
- CGEGIS Table Benefit Calculator
- CGEGIS Table of Benefits for First Quarter – Jan and Mar 2019
- CGEGIS Table of Benefits for the savings fund
Top Developments on CGEGIS
CGEGIS Group A B C Table PDF
FAQ related to CGEGIS Scheme:
- CGEGIS 1980 Table of Benefits from January 2021 to March 2021 February 19, 2021
- CGEGIS Table from October to December 2020 PDF December 3, 2020
- CGEGIS Benefit Table 2020 – Check Benefit from July 2020 to September 2020 September 3, 2020
- CGEGIS Table of Benefits for the savings fund for the period from 1.4.2020 to 30.6.2020 July 24, 2020
- Revision of Central Government Employees Group Insurance Scheme (CGEGIS) is long overdue! June 23, 2020
- CGEGIS Benefit Table for the period from April 2020 to June 2020 May 21, 2020
- Generating Long Term Fund Through CGEGIS – BPMS April 23, 2020
- CGEGIS Table January 2020 to March 2020 February 6, 2020
- CGEGIS Calculation Table from October and December 2019 December 12, 2019
- CGEGIS Savings Fund Benefit Table from July to September 2019 August 14, 2019
- CGEGIS Table 2019: Group Insurance Savings Fund Benefit Table Apr to Jun 2019 May 30, 2019
- CGEGIS Benefit Tables 2019 – Savings Fund from Jan to Mar 2019 February 13, 2019
- CGEGIS Benefit Table 2018 – From 1.10.2018 to 31.12.2018 December 11, 2018
- CGEGIS Tables of Benefits for the savings fund from 1.7.2018 to 30.9.2018 September 5, 2018
- CGEGIS 1980: Tables of Benefits from April 2018 to June 2018 May 28, 2018
- Enhancement of Insurance Coverage under CGEGIS – BPMS April 7, 2018
- CGEGIS Table from Jan to Mar 2018 February 27, 2018
- CGEGIS Savings Fund Benefit Calculator (Updated) November 25, 2017
- CGEGIS Tables Benefits for Savings Fund – Period from 01.10.2017 to 31.12.2017 November 24, 2017
- CGEGIS Tables of Benefits for Savings Fund (Period from 01.07.2017 to 30.09.2017) September 18, 2017
- CGEGIS Table : Tables of Benefits for the savings fund for the period from 01.04.2017 to 30.06.2017 June 5, 2017
- Simplification of procedure for payment of CGEGIS dues – Finmin Orders March 17, 2017
- CGEGIS Table 2017 – Benefits for the period from 1.1.2017 to 31.3.2017 March 17, 2017
- Central Government Employees Group Insurance Scheme 1980: Annual Report for the year 2017 February 4, 2017
- CGEGIS was Modified by 7th CPC to give High Risk Cover, but Govt ignored July 29, 2016
- 7th CPC Recommendation on CGEGIS is not accepted by Govt June 30, 2016
- CGEGIS Table 2016 – Finmin issued tables of Benefits for the savings fund for the period from 01.01.2016 to 31.12.2016 March 2, 2016
- Unjustified deduction for Group insurance Scheme in 7th Pay Commission Report – IRTSA December 16, 2015
- 7th CPC CGEGIS : Illogical recommendation of 7th CPC December 5, 2015
- 7th Pay Commission Recommendations on CGEGIS December 5, 2015
- CGEGIS Table 2015 – Tables of Benefits for the savings fund for the period from 1.1.2015 to 31.12.2015 January 23, 2015
- CGEGIS 1980 : Annual report including CGEGIS subscribers for the year 2014 January 2, 2015
7th Pay Commission Other Topics
- 7th Pay Commission Pay Scale Calculator
- 7th Pay Commission Salary Calculator 2019
- 7th Pay Commission Pay Fixation Calculator
- 7th Pay Commission DA Rates Table
- 7th Pay Commission Pay Fixation
- 7th Pay Commission MACP Scheme
- 7th Pay Commission Children Education Allowance
- 7th Pay Commission Transport Allowance
- 7th Pay Commission Increment
- 7th Pay Commission House Rent Allowance
- 7th Pay Commission Classification of Posts
- 7th Pay Commission LTC Rules
- 7th Pay Commission Leave Rules
- 7th Pay Commission Travelling Allowance
- 7th Pay Commission House Building Advance
- 7th Pay Commission Allowances
- 7th Pay Commission Fitment Table
- 7th Pay Commission Advances
- 7th Pay Commission CGEGIS
- 7th Pay Commission Risk & Hardship Allowances
What is CGEGIS and benefits?
The full form of CGEGIS is Central Government Employees’ Group Insurance Scheme and it is for the employees working in Central Government Services only. The insurance amount will benefit while retiring or in case of death.
What are the rates of CGEGIS after the 7th Pay Commission?
7th Pay Commission recommended new subscription rates for CGEGIS, but Central Govt did not accept the recommendation.
What is the ratio of CGEGIS?
CGEGIS comprises a Savings Fund and an Insurance Fund in the ratio 70:30.
How is CGEGIS benefit calculated?
The maturity amount will be calculated as per the fitment table issued by the Finance Ministry every quarter.
What is AGIF?
Army Group Insurance Fund (AGIF) for Armed Forces Personnel applicable from September 2013.the ratio of CGEGIS?