7th Pay Commission Travelling Allowance Rules for Central Government Employees
Travelling Allowance is not a regular allowance for all employees! Travelling Allowance is that the permission to avail reimbursement of the expenses incurred by an employee while on duty in outstation! Travelling Allowance is the package of various allowances. Travelling Allowance and Daily Allowance (TA-DA), Hotel Charges, Travelling Charges, Food Charges, Mileage Allowance, Reservation Charges, Internet and E-Ticketing Charges, Cancellation Charges, Conveyance Charges, TA on Deputation, TA on Transfer and TA on Retirement.
(Compilation of TA/DA Rules for CG Employees)
New Revised Rate and Entitlements of Travelling allowance as per 7th pay commission with effect from 1st July 2017: For Armed Forces Defence Personnel and Railway employees, the concerned department will issue separate orders on this subject respectively. Supersession of all orders issued earlier, particularly DoE Office Memorandum No.19030/3/2008-E.IV dated 23.9.2008, in respect of Travelling Allowance rules.
Also Check: Transport Allowance Chart
TA/DA Rules for Central Govt Employees
What is TA/DA?
TA/DA stands for Travelling Allowance and Daily Allowance (not Dearness allowance). TA means the travel expenses as per entitlement on official duty. DA means the food and accommodation charges as per the entitlement. Travelling allowance and Daily allowance are fixed amounts as per the pay matrix level after the 7th pay commission.
What is Travelling Allowance?
A reimbursement system for travelling expenses while on duty (official duty or temporary duty). And any kind of travelling expenses is permissible as per entitlements of TA/DA Rules. Other than travel expenses, accommodation, food and other related expenses are also eligible for reimbursement under Daily Allowance. The revised rates of TA and DA allowances after the 7th pay commission are given below in detail.
Also check: Expected DA from January 2020 Calculator
- 7th Pay Commission Travel Entitlement
- 7th Pay Commission Rate of Travelling Allowance
- 7th Pay Commission Orders on Travelling Allowance
This Allowance on tour comprises fares for a journey by rail/road/air/ sea or road mileage for road journeys otherwise than by bus and Daily Allowance for the period of absence from Headquarters [Para 4.2.27 6th CPC Report]
Travelling Allowance Rates 7th Pay Commission – Travel Entitlement as per Pay Level in Pay Matrix
Entitlement of Daily Allowance and Travelling Allowance as per Pay Level in Pay Matrix Table
Travel Entitlement for Tour and Training (within the Country)
|Pay Matrix Level||Travel entitlement|
|14 and above||Business or Club class by air or AC-I by train|
|12 and 13||Economy class by air or AC-I by train|
|9 to 11||Economy class by air or AC-II by train|
|6 to 8||Economy class by air or AC-II by train|
|5 and below||First Class or AC-III or AC Chair car by train|
Check also: CG Offices Holiday List 2022 – PDF Download
|Pay Matrix Level||Travel Entitlements*|
|12 And Above||Executive or AC 1st Class (In Case of Premium, Premium Tatkal, Suvidha, Shatabdi, Rajdhani higher class)|
|6 To 11||AC 2nd Class or Chair Car (In Shatabdi Trains)|
|5 & Below||AC 3rd Class or Chair Car|
|Pay Matrix Level||Travel Entitlement|
|17 And Above||First Class|
|14 To 16||Business or Club Class|
|13 And Below||Economy Class|
Entitlement for journeys by Sea or by River Steamer
(i) For places other than A&N Group of Islands and Lakshadweep Group of Islands:-
|Pay Level In Pay Matrix||Travel Entitlement|
|9 And Above||Highest Class|
|6 To 8||Lower Class If There Be Two Classes Only On The Steamer|
|4 And 5||If Two Classes Only, The Lower Class, If Three
Classes, The Middle Or Second Class. If There Be Four Classes, The Third
|3 And Below||Lowest Class|
For travel between the mainland and the A&N Group of Islands and Lakshadweep Group of Islands by ships operated by the Shipping Corporation of India Limited
|Pay Level In Pay Matrix||Travel Entitlement|
|9 And Above||Deluxe Class|
|6 To 8||First / ’A’ Cabin Class|
|4 And 5||Second / ’B’ Cabin Class|
|3 And Below||Bunk Class|
Mileage Allowance for Journeys by Road
(i) At places where specific rates have been prescribed:-
|Pay Level In Pay Matrix||Entitlements|
|14 Or Above||Actual Fare By Any Type Of Public Bus Including AC
Bus OR At Prescribed Rates Of AC Taxi When The Journey is Actually Performed By AC Taxi OR At Prescribed Rates For Auto Rickshaw For Journeys
By Auto Rickshaw, Own Car, Scooter, Motor Cycle, Moped, Etc.
|6 To 13||Same As Above With The Exception That Journeys By AC Taxi Will Not Be
|4 And 5||Actual Fare By Any Type Of Public Bus Other Than AC
Bus OR At Prescribed Rates For Auto Rickshaw For Journeys
By Auto Rickshaw, Own Car, Scooter, Motor Cycle, Moped, Etc.
|3 And Below||Actual Fare By Ordinary Public Bus Only OR At Prescribed Rates For Auto Rickshaw For Journeys By Autorickshaw,
Own Scooter, Motor Cycle, Moped, Etc.
Daily Allowance as per Pay Level in Pay Matrix
Rate of Daily Allowance Travelling Allowance as per Pay Level in Pay Matrix Table
|Pay Level||5 and below|
|Accommodation Charges||Rs. 450 per day|
|TA Charges||Rs. 113 per day|
|Lump-sum||Rs. 500 per day|
|Pay Level||6 to 8|
|Accommodation Charges||Rs. 750 per day|
|TA Charges||Rs. 225 per day|
|Lump-sum||Rs. 800 per day|
|Pay Level||9 to 11|
|Accommodation Charges||Rs. 2,250 per day|
|TA Charges||Rs. 338 per day|
|Lump-sum||Rs. 900 per day|
|Pay Level||12 and 13|
|Accommodation Charges||Rs. 4,500 per day|
|TA Charges||AC taxi charges of up to 50 km per day|
|Lump-sum||Rs. 1000 per day|
|Pay Level||14 and above|
|Accommodation Charges||Rs. 7,500 per day|
|TA Charges||AC taxi charges as per actual expenditure|
|Lump-sum||Rs. 1,200 per day|
Check also: 7th CPC Transport Allowance Rate Chart
Note: The Rates of Accommodation Charges, Travelling Charges, and Lump sum amount will further increase by 25% whenever DA increases by 50%.
Clarification on accommodation charges for stay in Hotels as per CCS (TA) Rules – Dated: 18.6.2018 – Click to read in detail
Claiming of hotel charges procedure for CG Staff and Officers with effect from 1st July 2017 as per the recommendations of 7th pay commission.
For levels 8 and below, the amount of claim (up to the ceiling) may be paid without the production of vouchers against self-certified claims only. The self-certified claim should clearly indicate the period of stay, name of dwelling, etc. additionally, for a stay in Class ‘X’ cities, the ceiling for all employees up to Level 8 would be Rs. 1,000 per day, but it will only be in the form of reimbursement upon production of relevant vouchers.
Reimbursement of Travelling charges
Reimbursement of TA for Central Government Officers and Staff from 1st July 2017.
Similar to Reimbursement of staying accommodation charges, for level 8 and below, the claim (up to the ceiling) may be paid without production of vouchers against self-certified claim only.
The self-certified claim should clearly indicate the period of travel, vehicle number, etc. the ceiling for levels 11 and below will further rise by 25 per cent whenever DA increases by 50 per cent. For journeys on foot, an allowance of Rs.12/- per kilometre travelled on foot shall be payable additionally.
Reimbursement of Food charges Procedure
Reimbursement of food bills procedure for CG Employees after 7th pay commission.
There will be no separate reimbursement of food bills. Instead, the lump sum amount payable will be as per Table E (i) above and, depending on the length of absence from headquarters, would be regulated as per Table (v) below.
Since the concept of reimbursement has been done away with, no vouchers will be required. This methodology is in line with that followed by Indian Railways at present (with suitable enhancement of rates). i.e. Lump sum amount payable.
Timing restrictions – Absence from HeadQuarter
Absence from Head Quarter will be reckoned from midnight to midnight and will be calculated on a per-day basis.
If absence from headquarters is less than 6 hours = 30% of Lumpsum amount
If absence from headquarters is between 6 -12 hours = 70% of Lumpsum amount
If absence from headquarters is more than 12 hours = 100% of Lumpsum amount
Travelling Allowance Rules – Implementation of the Seventh Central Pay Commission – Finmin Order No.19030/1/2017-E.IV Dt. 13.7.2017 pdf download
Transportation Rules for Personal Effects
Transportation of personal effects on transfer by road calculation. Transportation entitlement for Central Government employees with effect from 1.7.2017
|Level||By Train/Steamer||By Road|
|12 And Above||6000 Kg By Goods Train/4 Wheeler Wagon/1 Double
|Rs. 50 Per Km|
|6 To 11||6000 Kg By Goods Train/4 Wheeler Wagon/1 Single Container||Rs. 50 Per Km|
|5||3000 Kg||Rs. 25/- Per Km|
|4 And Below||1500 Kg||Rs. 15 Per Km|
Transportation Rules for Conveyance
Reimbursement for transportation of conveyance charges for CG employees effective from 1.7.2017.
|6 And Above||1 Motor Car Etc. Or 1 Motor Cycle/Scooter|
|5 And Below||1 Motorcycle/Scooter/Moped/Bicycle|
Classification of pay level for Travelling allowance
Rate of transportation of conveyance on transfer
|7th CPC Travelling Allowance|
|Pay Level in Pay Matrix|
|Level-14 (GP Rs. 10000) and above|
|Level-12 (GP Rs. 7600) and Level-13 (GP Rs. 8700)|
|Level-9 (GP Rs. 5400) to Level-11 (GP Rs. 6600)|
|Level-6 (GP Rs. 4200) to Level-8 (GP Rs. 4800)|
|Level-4 (GP Rs. 2400) and Level-5 (GP Rs. 2800)|
|Level-3 (GP Rs. 2000) and below|
TA-DA Allowance Rules for Central Government Employees
SR 116 of TA Rules PDF
The travelling allowance referred to will be admissible in respect of the journey of the Government servant and members of his family from the last station of his duty to his home town or to the place where he and his family is to settle down permanently even if it is other than his declared home town and in respect of the transportation of his personal effects between the same places.
SR 147 of TA Rules PDF
S.R. 147 the expenditure on transportation of conveyance by government servants on their retirement shall be reimbursed without insisting on the requirement that the possession of the conveyance by them while in service at their last place of duty should have been in the public interest. Finance Ministry issued an important clarification order on Travelling Allowances rules and rates as per 7th Pay Commission on 13.7.2017. [Download pdf click here]
TA/DA Rules for Retiring Employees
TA on Retirement includes 4 components:-
- Travel entitlement for self and family
- Composite Transfer and packing grant (CTG)
- Reimbursement of charges on transportation of personal effects
- Reimbursement of charges on transportation of conveyance.
(i) Travel Entitlements
Travel entitlements as prescribed for tour/transfer in Para 2 above, except for International Travel, will be applicable in case of journeys on retirement. The general conditions of admissibility prescribed in S.R. 147 will, however, continue to be applicable.
(ii) Composite Transfer Grant (CTG)
(a) The Composite Transfer Grant shall be paid at the rate of 80% of the last month’s basic pay in case of those employees, who on retirement, settled down at places other than the last station(s) of their duty located at a distance of or more than 20 km.
However, in case of settlement to and from the Island territories of Andaman, Nicobar & Lakshadweep, CTG shall be paid at the rate of 100% of last month’s basic pay.
Further, NPA and MSP shall not be included as part of basic pay while determining entitlement for CTG.
The transfer incidentals and road mileage for journeys between the residence and the railway station/bus stand, etc., at the old and new station, are already subsumed in the composite transfer grant and will not be separately admissible.
(b) As in the case of serving employees, Government servants who, on retirement, settle at the last station of duty itself or within a distance of less than 20 km may be paid one-third of the CTG subject to the condition that a change of residence is actually involved.
(iii) Transportation of Personal Effects:- Same as Para 3(iii) above.
(iv) Transportation of Conveyance:- Same as Para 3(iv) above.
The general conditions of admissibility of TA on Retirement as prescribed in S.R. 147 will, however, continue to be applicable.
Who is eligible for Travelling Allowance?
7th CPC Travel Entitlements
|7th CPC Travel Entitlements within the Country w.e.f. 1.7.2017 – Click Here|
|7th CPC Entitlements of Travel by Premium Trains – Premium Tatkal – Suvidha Trains w.e.f. 1.7.2017 – Click Here|
|Entitlement for journeys by Sea or by River Steamer – Click Here|
|Travel between the mainland and the A&N Group of islands and Lakshadweep – Click Here|
|7th CPC Mileage Allowance for Journeys by Road – Click Here|
|7th CPC Daily Allowance on Tour – Click Here|
|7th CPC Transportation of Personal Effects – Click Here|
Travelling Allowance and Related matters | Finmin Orders
|Office Memorandum No. & Title||Download||Date|
|F.No.19030/1/2017-E.IV: Travelling Allowance Rules – Implementation of the
Recommendations of the Seventh CPC
|Admissibility for reimbursement for travel within the city||Download||17/02/2017|
Transfer Travelling Allowance Form for Central Government employee
Travelling Allowance Bill For Transfer
- Part-A (To be filled by the Government Servant)
Particulars of an employee
Part-B (To be filled in the Bills Section)
- Expenditure Details
Note: This bill should be prepared in duplicate-one for payment and the other as an office copy
Time-limit for submission of claims for Travelling Allowance (TA) on retirement regarding
The time limit for submission of TA claim in all other cases i.e. on tour, transfer and training etc. will remain 60 days. [Click to view in order]
Travelling Allowance (TA/DA) Chart
|Title of Subject||Travelling Allowance Rules|
|Beneficiaries||Central Government Employees|
|TA/DA||Travelling Allowance & Daily Allowance|
|Eligibility||Official Duty or Temporary Duty|
|Rules Based on||7th Central Pay Commission|
|Travel on||Air, Train, Road and Sea|
|Level 5 & below||First Class/AC-III/AC Chair Car in Train|
|Level 6 to 8||AC-II in Train|
|Level 9 to 11||Economy Class in Air or AC-II in Train|
|Level 12 & 13||Economy Class in Air or AC-I in Train|
|Level 14 & above||Business/Club Class in Air or AC-I in Train|
Travelling Allowance on transfer to/from North-Eastern Region, Union Territories of Andaman & Nicobar, Lakshadweep Island and Ladakh
If the family of Railway employee does not accompany him on. transfer to from these areas, the employee’ is entitled to carry personal effects upto 1/3rd of his entitlement and production of receipt/voucher is not mandatory to claim 1/3rd of his entitlement of transportation of personal effects.
If the family of Railway employee accompanies him on transfer to/from these areas, the employee is entitled to the admissible cost of transportation of personal effects and production of receipt/voucher is mandatory to claim admissible amount.as per his entitlement for transportation of personal effects.
- Travelling Allowance on Transfer To/From NER Region, A&N Islands, Lakshadweep Island & Ladakh August 3, 2022
- Time limit for submission of Travelling Allowance and other claims by retired employees: Railway Board November 30, 2021
- 7th CPC Travelling Allowance Rules – Production of receipts or vouchers for reimbursement of TA and DA December 30, 2020
- Check List for Temporary Duty Claim July 15, 2020
- Check List for Permanent Duty Claim July 15, 2020
- Guidelines for Air Travel on Official Tours – Latest Railway Board Order July 10, 2020
- Travelling Allowance (TA) Rules – Submission of Boarding Pass along with TA Bill June 24, 2020
- Conveyance Allowance to Railway Doctors after 7th Pay Commission June 10, 2020
- 7th Central Pay Commission Conveyance Allowance Revised rates to Railway Medical Officers June 10, 2020
- 7th CPC Conveyance Allowance – Finmin Order dated 19.07.2017 – PDF Download June 10, 2020
- TA Rules to Central Govt employees for participating in National and International sports events May 15, 2020
- Participation in Cultural Events Treated as on Duty with Travel Entitlements February 13, 2020
- Travelling Allowance (TA) for Election Duty 2019 November 20, 2019
- 7th CPC Travelling Allowance – Travel Entitlement as per Pay Level in Pay Matrix June 21, 2019
- 7th CPC Travel Entitlements – Clarification Orders issued by DoPT on 18.10.2018 October 19, 2018
- 7th CPC Travelling Allowance: Finmin Clarification dt. 12.9.2018 September 15, 2018
- 7th CPC TA Rules: Reimbursement of Accommodation Charges for Stay in Hotels June 25, 2018
- Time-limit for submission of claims for Travelling Allowances March 13, 2018
- TA/DA Entitlements to Defence Personnel December 14, 2017
- TA and Sitting Fee Payable to Official and Non-Official Members/Experts – UGC November 10, 2017
- 7th CPC Travelling Allowance : Railway Board Issued Modification Orders on 25.9.2017 October 6, 2017
- TA/DA entitlements of Non-officials of Committees/Boards/Panels – DoE Orders on 14.9.2017 September 14, 2017
- Instruction regarding overpayment in r/o of TA/DA on account of Temporary Duty/Tour September 12, 2017
- 7th CPC Travelling Allowance Rules – Finance Ministry Orders July 13, 2017
- Air Travel is Allowed for JCOs in Defence Forces July 11, 2017
- 7th CPC Allowances Gazette Notification : Transport Allowance (TPTA) and Travelling Allowance July 7, 2017
- Clarification on admitting Travelling Allowance claim by family of deceased employees – Finmin Orders December 23, 2016
- Frequently Observed Shortcomings in TA/DA Claims July 25, 2016
- Admissibility of Travelling Allowance (TA) and other expenditure incurred while on training by the Government Servants on probation January 21, 2016
- Travelling Allowance – Analysis and Recommendations of 7th Pay Commission December 16, 2015
- DA Over 100% – Admissible of supplementary claims for difference on arrears of TA/DA September 23, 2015
- Travel by Premium Trains on LTC, Official Duty, Tour, Training, Transfer – Clarification orders issued by PCAFYS August 28, 2015
- Based on the Census of 2011 HRA and TA increased for Central Government employees June 5, 2015
- Travel by Premium Trains on Official Duty/Tour/Training/Transfer etc.- Clarification from Finmin April 23, 2015
- Travelling Allowance for Election Duty – Clarification April 13, 2015
- Finmin Orders on Travelling Allowance – Granting to the Government servant with Disabilities on travel during tour/training February 18, 2015
- Relaxation for purchase of Air-Tickets on TA (Transfer) from Private Agents: CBDT Order January 12, 2015
- Foreign travel of Government officers – Clarification issued by Finance Ministry November 10, 2014
- Transport Allowance and Travelling Allowance Rules at a glance October 24, 2014
- JCM Staff Side suggestion on Transport Allowance June 25, 2014
- Government’s Travel Allowances for the MPs June 14, 2014
What is Travelling Allowance for Govt employees?
Granting of Travelling Allowance for Central Government employees is based on the travel expenses including boarding and lodging expenses while on official duty.
What is the difference between Travelling Allowance and Transport Allowance?
Transport Allowance is a fixed monthly amount and this is common for all government employees. The Transport Allowance is grating for the expenses travelling between office and residence. Travelling Allowance is entirely different from Transport Allowance. The Travelling Allowance is generally called TA/DA. This allowance is eligible only for the employees who have travelled on official duty.
What is the accommodation charges for pay level 5 as per 7th CPC?
The accommodation charges for pay levels 1 to 5 are Rs. 450 per day after implementation of the 7th pay commission.
Also Check: Central Government Pay Matrix Table 2022 PDF