7th Pay Commission Night Duty Allowance (NDA) for Central Government Employees – Eligibility, Formula, Calculation, Certificate
The 7th Central Pay Commission report said, the Night Duty Allowance (NDA) is granted to certain specified categories of employees for performance of duty between 22:00 hrs and 06:00 hrs. Presently, each hour of night work earns extra ten minutes of day work. There are demands to grant Night Duty Allowance between 18:00 hrs and 06:00 hrs and for doubling of rates by equating each hour of night work to extra twenty minutes of day work.
7th Pay Analysis and Recommendations
This allowance was dealt extensively by Mia Bhoy tribunal in 1969 and the present dispensation is based on the recommendation of the said tribunal.
Presently, the allowance is administered as per DoPT’s OM No.12012/4/86-Estt. (Allowances) of 04.10.1989, wherein every 6 hours of night work earns 1 weighted hour of day work, or each hour of night work earns extra 10 minutes of day work.
The Commission examined the various arguments given for the grant of Night Duty Allowance:
- Night Work Convention, 1990 of International Labour Organization, states in Article “Compensation for night workers in the form of working time, pay or similar benefits shall recognise the nature of night work.”
- There are studies to prove the deleterious effects on health of prolonged periods of continuous night duty.
- Sleep is more likely to be interrupted during day time compared to night time.
- Transportation and Entertainment are generally planned keeping day time in mind.
This Commission is, therefore, convinced that the need for compensating night work is widely recognized and should be continued.
However, the practice of arriving at the rates of NDA needs to be uniform. It is seen that in the Railways the rate of NDA has been broad-banded and all employees at each level of Grade Pay are given the same rate of NDA. For achieving this broad-banding, the average of Minimum and Maximum of the entire Pay Band has been taken to arrive at the average pay.
This appears to be incorrect because running Pay Bands were intentionally kept wide by the VI CPC to avoid stagnation. Hence to use the extremities of the Pay Band for arrival at the average rate of NDA is not appropriate. Moreover, with the computerization of pay rolls, the amount of Night Duty Allowance can be easily calculated for each employee.
Taking the above into account, the following set of recommendations is made with regard to NDA:
Finally, the commission has recommended following statement:
The present formulation of weightage of 10 minutes for every hour of duty
performed between the hours of 22:00 and 06:00 may be continued;
- The present prescribed hourly rate of NDA equal to (BP+DA)/200 may be continued
- This amount of NDA should, however, be worked out separately for each employee. With the computerization of pay rolls, working out the amount of NDA automatically for each employee every month will not entail any difficulty
- The existing formulation for giving same rate of NDA for all employees with a particular GP should be abolished.
- This formulation will extend to all employees across all ministries / departments who were already in receipt of Night Duty Allowance.
- A certificate should be given by the supervisor concerned that Night Duty is essential.
No.110 – Night Duty Allowance – Retained – Rationalized
7th CPC Calculation of Night Duty Allowance:
- Hourly rate of NDA equal to [(BP+DA)/200]
Latest orders and news about 7th Pay Night Duty Allowance (NDA)
- 7th Pay Commission Night Shift Allowance DoPT Order Dated 13.7.2020
- Payment of Night Duty Allowance (NDA) and Arrears for Civilian Employees working in Ordnance Factories
- No ceiling for entitlement of Night Duty Allowance – MoD
- Free Night calling facility to BSNL Employees – SNEA
- Central Government permits Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 currency notes on highway toll plazas till midnight of 11.11.2016
- 500 and 1000 rupee notes will no longer be legal tender from midnight tonight
- Eligibility of Night Duty Allowance for Ordnance Employees fixed at 12380(Band Pay) – PCAFYS Orders on 9.9.2015
- Method of Night Duty Allowance and Night Shift Bonus Calculation for Industrial Employees
- Rates of Night Duty Allowance w.e.f. 1.1.2015 for Railway Industrial Employees and Staff
- Night Duty Allowance (NDA) for Ordnance Employees – MoD Orders on 8.5.2015
- Grant of Night Duty Allowance on the basis of Actual Salary – Implementation of Courts Judgements – BPMS
- Grant of Night Duty Allowance on the basis of actual salary of 6th CPC