Department of Military Affairs (Armed Forces of the Union, namely, Army, Navy and Air Force) – A new office for Armed Forces Personnel
Creation of New Department of Military Affairs
Department of Military Affairs (DMA) with Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) as Secretary was created to facilitate optimal utilization of resources and promote jointness among the three Services. As per the Second Schedule to Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules 1961, the following subjects were allocated to DMA:-
Hot Check: Expected DA from July 2020 Calculator
- The Armed Forces of the Union, namely, Army, Navy and Air Force.
- Integrated Headquarters of the Ministry of Defence comprising of Army Headquarters, Naval Headquarters, Air Headquarters and Defence Staff Headquarters.
- The Territorial Army.
- Works relating to Army, Navy and Air Force.
- Procurement exclusive to the Services except capital acquisitions, as per prevalent rules and procedures.
- Promoting jointness in procurement, training and staffing for the Services through joint planning and integration of their requirements.
- Facilitation of restructuring of Military Commands for optimal utilisation of resources by bringing about jointness in operations, including through establishment of joint / theatre commands.
- Promoting use of indigenous equipment by the Services.
The Second Schedule to Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules 1961 clearly identifies the functions of all the five Departments of the Ministry of Defence and thus there will not be any duplication of functions among them.
Work of 23 sections along with around 160 Civilian officers and staff have been transferred from Department of Defence to DMA.
This information was given by Raksha Rajya Mantri Shri Shripad Naik in a written reply to Dr T Subbarami Reddy in Rajya Sabha today.