7th CPC Defence Allowances for JCO/OR
All Allowances for JCOs/OR (Junior Commissioned Officer/ Other Rank)
Allowances for Armed Forces Personnel as per 7th CPC – An Overview
After the implementation of 7th pay commission recommendations to the personnel of Armed Forces, many demands were listed on allowances to the Govt. The Central Govt decided to constitute a committee under the Chairmanship of Finance Secretary and Secretary of Home Affairs, Defence, Health and Family Welfare, DoPT and Railway Board as members to examine the recommendations of the 7th CPC on Allowances. The committee submitted its report on 27.4.2017.
The report said, as the Defence Forces do not have any Staff Associations, the Committee also interacted with the Tri-Services Pay Staff (TRIPAS) as representatives of the Defence Forces in view of the large number of demands pertaining to Defence Forces personnel. Similarly, the Committee met the DGs of CAPFs and senior officers of SPG, IB and R&AW.
Major Features on Revision of Defence Allowances:
- Revision has been implemented with effect from 1st July 2017.
- All slab based allowances to increase by 25% for every 50% rise in Dearness Allowance.
- Rates of Children Education Allowance (CEA) and Hostel Subsidy increased by 1.5 times. CEA has been increased from Rs 1500 per month/child (max two) to Rs. 2250 per month/child (max two). Hostel Subsidy has been revised from Rs 4500 per month to Rs. 6750 per month.
- Family Accommodation Allowance for JCOs/OR subsumed with effect from 1st July 2017.
- HRA will be applicable to all ranks and CILQ abolished with effect from 1st July 2017.
- Travel by air on TD for Level 6 and above. AC III/AC Chair Car for Level 5 and below.
- Siachen Allowance will be Rs 30,000 per month for JCOs/OR (Level 8 and below) and Rs. 42,500 per month for officers (Level 9 and above).
List of Abolished Allowances in 7th CPC
- Air Despatch Pay
- Air Steward Allowance
- Official Hospitality Grant in Defence Forces
- Special Compensatory (Hill Area) Allowance
- Spectacle Allowance
- Short Hand Allowance.
List of Subsumed Allowances in 7th CPC
- Kit Maintenance Allowance
- Qualification Grant
- Special Compensatory (Remote Locality Allowance)
- Uniform Related Allowance
- Washing/Clothing Maintenance Allowance.
- Acting Allowance
- Bad Climate Allowance
- Compensation in Lieu of Quarter (CILQ)
- Single in Lieu of Quarter (SNLQ)
- Extra Duty Allowance
- Family Accommodation Allowance
- Flight Charge Certificate Allowance
- Instructional Allowance
- Judge Advocate General Dept Examination Award
- Outfit Allowance
Children Education Allowance Scheme for Defence Personnel
It has two components, CEA and Hostel Subsidy. Both cannot be claimed concurrently.
Children Education Allowance: Rs. 2250 per month per child for two children only. CEA is admissible from Nursery to 12th classes.
- Reimbursement should be done just once a year, after completion of the financial year (which for most schools coincides with the Academic year).
- Certificate from the head of institution where the ward of government employee studies should be sufficient for this purpose. The certificate should confirm that the child studied in the school during the previous academic year.
Hostel Subsidy: Rs. 6750 per month per child for two children only. Applicable when children are studying in a boarding school away from the place of posting of the father/mother.
- Certificate from the head of institution should suffice, with the additional requirement that the certificate should mention the amount of expenditure incurred by the government servant towards lodging and boarding in the residential complex.
- The amount of expenditure mentioned, or whichever is lower, shall be paid to the employee.
Educational Concession to Children of Personnel Missing/Disabled/Killed in Action.
|Category||Rate of CEA (Officers, JCOs & OR)|
|Tuition Fees||Full Reimbursement|
|Hostel Charges||Full Reimbursement|
|Cost of Books/ Stationery||Rs. 2000 per annum|
|Cost of Uniform||Rs. 2000 per annum|
|Clothing||Rs. 700 per annum|
Note: The combined amount of Tuition Fees and Hostel Charges shall not exceed Rs 10,000 Per month.
Language Allowance for Defence Officers, JCO and ORs
- Rate of Language Allowance for JCO and ORs
- Rate of Language Award for Passing Diploma Part-II with 65% & above marks (one time)
- Rate of Language Award for Passing Diploma Part-II with 70% & above marks (one time)
|Category||Language Allowance||Language Award (above 65%)||Language Award (above 70%)|
|Cat – I||Rs. 2025|
|Cat – II||Rs. 1689|
|Cat – III||Rs. 1350|
|Cat – I (Sponsored)||Rs. 6750||Rs. 13,500|
|Cat – II (Sponsored)||Rs. 4725||Rs. 10,125|
|Cat – III (Sponsored)||Rs. 3375||Rs. 6,750|
|Cat – I (Non-Sponsored)||Rs. 10125||Rs. 20,250|
|Cat – II (Non-Sponsored)||Rs. 6750||Rs. 13,500|
|Cat – III (Non-Sponsored)||Rs. 4725||Rs. 10125|
Qualification Allowance for Defence Officers, JCO and ORs
Rate of Qualification Allowance as per 7th CPC
|Category||Rate of Allowance (per month)|
|Category ‘A’ (ATC/FC)||Rs. 3600|
|Category ‘B’ (ATC/FC)||Rs. 2700|
|Master Aviation Instructor||Rs. 1125|
|Senior Aviation Instructor (Class I)||Rs. 900|
|Senior Aviation Instructor (Class II)||Rs. 630|
|Aviators Holding Master Green Card||Rs. 900|
|Aviators Holding Green Card||Rs. 630|
Rate of Higher Qualification Allowance as per 7th CPC
|Rate of Allowance (per month)|
|Grade I Courses||Rs. 30000|
|Grade II Courses||Rs. 25000|
|Grade III Course||Rs. 20025|
|Grade IV Courses||Rs. 15000|
|Grade V Courses||Rs. 10000|
Dress Allowance for Defence Officers, JCO and ORs
The Dress Allowance has been introduced in place of Kit Maint Allowance, Clothing Allce, Initial Equipment Allce, Outfit Allce, Uniform Allce and Washing Allowance.
- Officers: Rs. 20000 per year
- MNS Officers: Rs. 15000 per year
- JCOs/OR: Rs. 10000 per year
Pay & Allowances of JCOs/OR (Junior Commissioned Officer/ Other Rank)
All the parameters of Pay and Allowances of JCOs/OR of Indian Army, Territorial Army, NCC Personnel, Defence Civilian Non-Gazetted Employees Posted in Field Areas, incorporating the 7th CPC Entitlements.
- 7th CPC Pay as per Revised Pay Rules – Definition
- Military Service Pay – An Overview
- Exercise of option – Exercised in writing
- Fixation of pay in the revised pay structure – Methodology
- Re–Fixation of Pay – Stepping Up
- Date of Increment in Revised Pay Structure – More details
- Mode of Payment of Arrears of Pay – Calculation
- Pay Matrix – View Table
Allowances for JCOs / ORs of Indian Army – An Overview
- Allowances as per 7th CPC – An Overview
- CEA Scheme – Hostel Subsidy – Educational Concession
- Language & Qualification Allowance – Revised Rates
- Dress Allowance – New Rates
- Transport Allowance – Revised Rates for JCOs/OR
- Conveyance Allowance – Revised Table for JCOs/OR
- Concurrent Admissibility of Allowance – List of Allowances for JCOs/OR
- House Rent Allowance – Matrix for HRA to JCOs/OR
- Dip Money – Revised Rates for All Naval Personnel
- Diving Attendant Allowance – Revised Rates for All Naval Personnel
- Hard Area Allowance – Revised Rates for JCOs/OR
- Island Special Duty Allowance – Revised Rates for JCOs/OR
- Funeral Allowance – Funeral Expense
- Tough Location Allowance – Revised Rates for JCOs/OR
- Deputation (Duty) Allowance – Revised Rates for JCOs/OR
- Test Pilot and Flight Test Engineer Allowance – Officers Only
- Extra Work Allowance – Revised Rates for JCOs/OR
- Composite Personal Maintenance Allowance – Revised Rates for JCOs/OR
- Rum Allowance – For JCOs/OR Only
- Additional Post and Classification Allowance – Revised Rates for JCOs/OR
- Good Service/Good Conduct/Badge Allowance – Revised Rates for JCOs/OR
- Gallantry Awards – Revised Rates for JCOs/OR
- Training Allowance – Revised Rates for JCOs/OR
- Other Allowances – Revised Rates for JCOs/OR