Clarification on GPF Interest over Rs. 5 Lakhs – DoPPW
The Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare (DoPPW) has issued a clarification regarding the admissibility of interest on the General Provident Fund (GPF) when it exceeds the threshold limit of Rupees Five Lakhs. This clarification aims to address any confusion or uncertainty regarding the calculation and applicability of interest on GPF amounts exceeding the specified limit. By providing clear guidelines and procedures, the DoPPW intends to ensure transparency and accuracy in the management of GPF accounts and the disbursement of interest to eligible pensioners.
Clarification regarding admissibility of interest over and above the threshold limit of Rupees Five Lakhs on GPF by DoPPW
The Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare (DoPPW) has issued a clarification regarding the admissibility of interest on the General Provident Fund (GPF) that exceeds the threshold limit of Rupees Five Lakhs. This clarification was provided through an official memorandum from the Department of Posts, dated 30th June 2023. The memorandum aims to provide clear guidelines on how interest on GPF accounts above the specified limit should be dealt with, ensuring transparency and compliance with established regulations.
28-01/2022-2023 PA (PEA) 793-853
Government of India
Ministry of Communications
Department of Posts
P.A Wing Dak Bhawan,
New Delhi- 110001.
Sub: Clarification regarding admissibility of interest over and above the threshold limit of Rupees Five Lakhs.
References were received from some of the PAOs of this Department as to how the GPF subscription is to be regulated in the case of those government servants in which cases the total subscription of GPF in the current financial year ( 2022-23) has already been exceeded the limit of Rs 5 lakhs even after relaxation of provision of minimum monthly subscription of 6% of emoluments and as to whether interest is payable on excess amount of subscription in the Financial Year 2022-23.
2. Accordingly, clarification was sought from the Department of Pension and Pensioners Welfare. In response, DOP&PW in para 4 of the UO ID Note No 3/6/2023 P&PW(F) dated 12.06.2023 has clarified as below:
“Para 4: In respect of the question of payment of interest on the amount exceeding Rs. 5.00 lakhs, the above mentioned instructions of this Department do not intend to deny interest on the GPF subscription over and above the ceiling of Rs. five lakhs, in cases where the amount of total subscription in the year 2022-23 in respect of a Government servant exceeds Rs. Five lakh. The interest on the subscription in excess of Rs five lakh shall however, be subject to income tax, as per the rules notified by the Department of Revenue. Department of Posts may take necessary administrative action accordingly.”
3. Thus, regarding payment of interest during FY 2022-2023 on the amount exceeding 5 lakhs, the decision conveyed by DOP&PW as cited above may be followed. However, the instructions contained in DOP&PW Gazette notification dated 15.06.2022 and OM dated 02.11.2022 should be strictly adhered by all DDOs/PAOs.
4. This issues with the approval of Competent Authority.
(Saurabh M. Deshmukh)
- Clarity on Interest Above Rs. 5 Lakhs for GPF: DoPPW
- Rate of Interest on GPF and Other Similar Funds for Q2 of FY 2023-2024
- Transferring NPS Subscription into GPF Account
- Online processing of GPF Final withdrawal/advance-DAD
- GPF Guidelines for Submission of Final Withdrawal
- General Provident Fund drawal of Advance to Armed Forces Personnel
- GPF Interest Rate Fixed 7.9% for Further Three Months
- GPF Interest Rate in Tamil Nadu: Between 1.4.2019 and 30.6.2019
- GPF for those who have been Recruited on or after 1-1-2004
- Centralized Online GPF Module: Interest Calculation