Special Allowance is a significant hike in salary package to the employees working with remarkable skill.
Special Allowance in India – Employees in Govt and Private Sectors
The special allowance is a specific part of salary for the employees working in a different situation than others. Generally, allowances are taxable, however, some allowances are exempted from Income Tax.
Special Allowance Calculation in Basic Salary
Dearness allowance is paid for government employees only. It is calculated based on their basic salary (7th matrix pay). Special Allowance is paid in different manners to the employees working in the government and private sectors. In private companies, special allowance purely based on their efficiency on their projects and their profit-making capabilities. However, the amount of the allowance may not be shown in their salary slips as specifically, include as an increment in basic salary. But, house rent allowance (HRA) and transport allowance (TA) are calculated as per the basis salary (basic pay) of individual employees and the same as printed in their salary slips. Special allowance may not given specific percentage of basic salary. The special allowance is not common for all, it is paid for particularly. Working conditions, expenses incurred for special duties with care are main criteria for granting this extra benefit.
In the government sector in India, a special allowance is paid according to the recommendations of the pay commissions to central government employees. Special pay may also be paid to employees performing special duties at the discretion of the governing rules. The bank staff and officers are granted a special allowance in accordance with the settlement of Bipartite.
Comparison of Dearness allowance (DA) and Special allowance
There are no relevant features between dearness allowance and special allowance. Dearness allowance is paid to all government employees and officers without any conditions. Whereas the special allowance may be paid only to the staff working with extraordinary or Sustainable Talent.
Special Allowance to Bank Staff
Special allowance for bank employees and officers is concerned, accordance with the Bipartite settlements the allowance rates has been fixed. In Tenth BPS the Special Allowance has been introduced to sub staff.
Special Duty Allowance
The central government employees who are working in the north east region and ladkh areas, 10 percent of basic salary (7th matrix pay) is paid as Special Duty Allowance (SDA).
Island Special Duty Allowance
- Areas around the Capital Towns (Port Blair, Kavaratti and Agatti) – 10% of Basic Pay
- Difficult Areas (North and Middle Andaman, South Andaman excluding Port Blair, entire Lakshadweep except Kavaratii, Agatti and Minicoy) – 16% of Basic Pay
- More Difficult Areas (little Andaman, Nicobar group of Islands, Narcondum Islands, East Islands and Minicoy) – 20% of Basic Pay.
Tough Location Allowance
This Allowance has been introduced in lieu of Bad Climate Allowance, Special Compensatory (Remote Locality Allowance), Sunderban Allowance and Tribal Area Allowance.
Special Forces Allowance
- Officers (R1H1) Rs. 25,000 per month
- JCOs/ORs & equivalent Rs. 17,300 per month
Special Allowance for Child Care for Women with Disabilities
- 7th pay commission suggested to enhance the allowance by double.
- Rs. 3,000 per month per child
Special Allowance to Chief Safety Officers/Safety Officers
Top Latest News about Special Allowance in India:
- Special Allowance 10% of Basic Salary to Oak Grove School Teaching Staff – 15.1.2020
- Important Finance Ministry orders dt. 22.7.1998 – Special Allowances and Facilities to CG Employees
- Revised Rates of 7th CPC Special Allowance and Qualification Pay for Accounts cadre – 3.12.2019
- 7th CPC Child Care Leave: Special Allowance for Women – 27.6.2019
- Special Allowance to Teaching Staff in NVS – 15.9.2015
- 7th CPC Special Pay/Special Allowance admissible to officers of the Organized Group ‘A’ services – Dopt Ordres
- Special Allowance for child care for women with disabilities – Dopt orders on 16.8.2017 – 18.8.2017
- IBA Clarification on Paternity Leave, Encashment on LFC, Re-fixation of Pay and Special Allowance – 28.7.2015
- Revision of Special Allowance and Cash Handling Allowance as a result of enhancement of Dearness Allowance w.e.f. 1.1.2014 – 24.3.2015
- Special Allowance for Employees of CDA pattern in CPSEs
- Special Allowance in India – Rates and Exemption from Income Tax