Children Education Allowance (CEA)
CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE AND HOSTEL SUBSIDY
(Reimbursement of “Tuition Fee” – “Educational Assistance” to the wards of Central Government Employees)
Education Allowance Rs. 2250 per month/per child
The great first step for the allowance started from Second CPC. The 2nd Central Pay Commission had recommended the educational assistance scheme for Central Government employees, called as “Reimbursement of Tuition Fee“. The scheme was introduced and implemented with effect from March 1962.
The scheme was modified by the 3rd Pay Commission and also further liberalized by the 4th and 5th Pay Commissions. At last, the 6th Pay Commission had given a high priority to this scheme. Recommendations on this scheme was most welcome by the employees working under Central Government. The Central Government also accepted the recommendations and implemented with effect from September, 2008.
Children Education Allowance Scheme: There is no doubt on the recommendations of 6th CPC is continued in 7th CPC. 7th CPC suggested to simplify the reimbursement procedure. A bonafide certificate from the school or institution where the ward of employee studies may be sufficient.
CHECK ALSO: CEA FORMS DOWNLOAD
RECOMMENDATIONS ON 7TH CENTRAL PAY COMMISSION
Short introduction of CEA: Children Education Allowance (CEA) is paid to government employees to take care of schooling and hostel requirements of their children.
CEA will be applicable for children from class nursery to twelfth, including classes eleventh and twelfth held by Junior Colleges or schools affiliated to Universities or Boards of Education.
CEA can be claimed only for the two eldest surviving children with the exception that in case the second child birth results in twins/multiple birth.
Residential educational institution located at least 50 kilometers from the residence of the Government servant.
RECOMMENDATIONS OF 7TH CENTRAL PAY COMMISSION AND GOVT DECISION ON CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE
Rates of CEA: One of the most anticipated hike in this allowance by Central Government employees, but 7th Pay Commission has recommended the allowance would continue as CEA Rs. 2250 pm per child and Hostel subsidy Rs. 6750 pm per child.
And the allowance will continue to be double for differently abled children. And the commission has strongly object to extend the allowance beyond Class XII.
Rate of Children Education Allowance (CEA) has been increased from Rs. 1500 per month / child (max. 2) to Rs. 2250 per month / child (max.2). Hostel Subsidy will also go up from Rs. 4500 per month to Rs. 6750 per month. Annual amount of CEA for the academic year 2017-18 will be Rs. 24750 and Hostel Subsidy will be Rs. 74250.
CEA an Overview: The Children Education allowance was introduced w.e.f. 1-9-2008 on the basis of the recommendation of 6th CPC.
In the background of escalation of school fees, and other expenses connected with education of Children, the present scheme has been a big relief for the Government employees.
Presently the allowance is admissible for two children, for studying in a recognized school upto XII standard.
The maximum ceiling is stipulated at Rs.18000/- since this allowance had been hiked by 50% because of the DA component in salary having been crossed 100% on 1.1.2014.
We suggest doubling of this allowance and increasing the same by 50 % whenever the DA crosses over by 50%
Procedure of Reimbursement: The commission also recommended that the simplification of procedure for reimbursement. For CEA, a certificate from the head of institution where the ward of government employee studies should be sufficient for this purpose.
The certificate should confirm that the child studied in the school during the previous academic year.
The insistence of receipt for each and every expense to claim the allowance is a cumbersome procedure, which serves no purpose at all.
In order to avoid a probable misuse, the employer may be asked to produce an affidavit to the effect this child/children were bonafide student of the school. The production of receipt may be dispensed with.
We also suggest that the scheme may be extended to cover children studying for Graduate/Post Graduate and Professional courses.
This suggestion is being made in view of the huge expenses involved for the children’s higher studies, especially in the background of the Government with from higher education sector and allowing private institutions to come up and extract exorbitant changes for courses.
Since the quantum of allowance is fixed with a ceiling on maximum, our suggestion increase the coverage.
FAQ on CEA and Hostel Subsidy
REIMBURSEMENT CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE – CLARIFICATION ON LEAVE OR SUSPENSION
The Children Education Allowance or hostel subsidy shall be admissible to a Govt. servant while he/she is on duty…
CLASS ELIGIBILITY OF CHILDREN FOR CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE
Reimbursement of CEA and Hostel Subsidy shall be applicable for children from class nursery to twelfth…
UPPER AGE LIMIT FOR CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE
The upper age limit for Divyaang children has been set at 22 years…
REIMBURSEMENT OF CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE – IN CASE OF RETIREMENT…
In case of retirement, discharge, dismissal or removal from service, clarification given…
CEA CLARIFICATION – IF A GOVERNMENT SERVANT DIES…
If a Government servant dies while in service, the Children Education Allowance or hostel subsidy…
CLARIFICATION ON CEA – CHILD FAILS IN A PARTICULAR CLASS
The reimbursement of Children Education Allowance and Hostel Subsidy shall have no nexus…
CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE – DISTANCE OF RESIDENTIAL EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION
Clarification on distance for Residential Educational Institution studied children’s reimbursement…
REIMBURSEMENT OF CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE – BOTH ARE GOVERNMENT SERVANTS
Clarification on Husband and wife both are Government Servants, reimbursement…
CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE – PERIOD FOR REIMBURSEMENT
Quaterly, Half-Yearly or Annual reimbursement of Children Education Allowance…
REIMBURSEMENT OF CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE – DA IMPACT
Increasing DA over 25%, the amount of Children Education Allowance…
REIMBURSEMENT OF CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE – FOR DIVYAANG CHILDREN
Eligibility criteria of a Divyaang Children for reimbursement of CEA…
REIMBURSEMENT OF HOSTEL SUBSIDY – ELIGIBILITY OF AMOUNT
The amount of ceiling of hostel subsidy is…
REIMBURSEMENT OF CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE – ELIGIBILITY OF AMOUNT
Eligibility amount of a Children for reimbursement of CEA…
REIMBURSEMENT OF CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE – ELIGIBILITY OF CHILDREN
In case of failure of sterilization operation,…
CHILDREN EDUCATION ALLOWANCE PAYABLE FOR CITIZENS OF NEPAL AND BHUTAN – CLARIFICATION
CEA is payable for the children of all Central Government employees including citizens of Nepal and Bhutan…
Latest developments on CEA:
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance – Procedures 2019 August 21, 2019
- 7th Pay Commission Children Education Allowance – Consolidated instructions to Railway Employees August 17, 2019
- Top 20 Updates on 7th CPC Children Education Allowance July 29, 2019
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance – Central Govt Orders and clarifications July 9, 2019
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance (CEA) and Hostel Subsidy – Consolidated instructions issued by DoPT June 17, 2019
- Children Education Allowance Admissible for Suspension Employees? June 17, 2019
- CEA is eligible for the Citizens of Nepal and Bhutan June 17, 2019
- Studying through Correspondence is eligible for CEA and Hostel Subsidy? June 17, 2019
- CEA and Hostel Subsidy for Retiring Employees June 17, 2019
- CEA Clarification on a Govt Servant Dies While in Service June 17, 2019
- Is CEA Connected with the Performance of Child? June 17, 2019
- Reimbursement of Children Education Allowance and Hostel Subsidy – CG Employees Should Know the Key Points June 17, 2019
- Husband and Wife Govt Servants – What about CEA and HS? June 17, 2019
- What is the Ceiling of CEA for Divyaang children? June 17, 2019
- What type of Certificate or Self- Attestation to Produce for Claiming Hostel Subsidy? June 17, 2019
- What type of Certificate or Self- Attestation to Produce for Claiming CEA? June 17, 2019
- What is maximum reimbursement amount of CEA and HS? June 17, 2019
- How many children eligible for CEA & HS? June 17, 2019
- 7th Pay Commission Children Education Allowance – Orders, Circulars and Clarifications June 12, 2019
- 7th Pay Commission Children Education Allowance June 11, 2019
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance Comparative Analysis with 6th CPC June 11, 2019
- Children Education Allowance Income Tax Online Tool for CG Employees June 8, 2019
- Reimbursement of Tuition Fee to Children of Martyrs February 15, 2019
- Children Education Allowance to Railway Employees – Orders issued August 19, 2018
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance: PCDA Clarification issued on 1.8.2018 August 8, 2018
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance – DoPT Orders Dated 17.7.2018 July 18, 2018
- Need Uniform Format to Claim Children Education Allowance – NFIR June 6, 2018
- Amount Fixed for Reimbursement of CEA 2250 pm May 11, 2018
- Clarification on Children Education Allowances – DOP May 3, 2018
- 7th CPC CEA: Total Claim for Academic Year 2017-18 April 20, 2018