Ministry of Home Affairs issued an order on 19.4.2020 excluding the non-essential items from sale by the e-commerce companies from the consolidated revised guidelines, which listed the exemption given to the services and people from the purview of the lockdown.
Ministry of Home Affairs’ Order No. 40-3/2020-DM-I(A) Dated 15th April, 2020, Sub-clause (v) under Clause 14 on Commercial and private establishments as follows
14. Commercial and private establishments, as listed below, will be allowed to operate:
- i. Print and electronic media including broadcasting, DTH and cable services.
- ii. IT and IT enabled Services, with upto 50% strength.
- iii. Data and call centres for Government activities only.
iv. Government approved Common Service Centres (CSCs) at Gram Panchayat level.
- v. E-commerce companies. Vehicles used by e-commerce operators will be allowed to ply with necessary permissions.
- vi. Courier services.
- vii. Cold storage and warehousing services, including at ports, airports, railway stations, container Depots, individual units and other links in the logistics chain.
- viii. Private security services and facilities management services for maintenance and upkeep of office and residential complexes.
- ix. Hotels, home stays, lodges and motels, which are accommodating tourists and persons stranded due to lock down, medical and emergency staff, air and sea crew.
- x. Establishments used earmarked for quarantine facilities.
- xi. Services provided by self-employed persons, e.g., electrician, IT repairs, plumbers, motor mechanics, and carpenters.
MHA Order Dt. 19.4.2020 to exclude e-Commerce from Consolidated revised guidelines of 15.4.2020
Government of India
Ministry of Home Affairs
North Block, New Delhi-110001
Dated 19th April, 2020
In continuation of Ministry of Home Affairs’s Order No. 40-3/2020-DM-I(A) Dated 15th April, 2020 and 16th April, 2020 and in exercise of the powers, conferred under Section 10(2)(1) of the Disaster Management Act, the undersigned, in his capacity as Chairperson, National Executive Committee, hereby orders to exclude the following from the consolidated revised guidelines for strict implementation by Ministries/ Departments of Government of India, State/Union Territory Governments and State/ Union Territory Authorities:
Sub-clause (v) under Clause 14 on Commercial and private establishments
v. E-commerce companies. Vehicles used by e-commerce operators will be allowed to ply with necessary permissions.
The Secretaries of Ministries/ Departments of Government of India
The Chief Secretaries/Administrators of States/Union Territories (As per list attached)
- i. All members of the National Executive Committee.
- ii. Member Secretary, National Disaster Management Authority.
AJAY BHALLA, lAS
Home Secretary, Government of India North Block, New Delhi
Dated: 19th April 2020
Dear Chief Secretary,
Please refer to MHA Order No. 40-3/2020-DM-l(A) dated 15th April
2020 & 16th April 2020, vide which consolidated revised guidelines on the
measures to be taken by the Ministries/ Departments of the Government
of India, State/UT Governments and State/UT Authorities for containment
of COVID-19, has been circulated for the strict implementation in all parts
of the Country.
2. Vide Order of even number dated 19h April, 2020, clause 14(v) of
the consolidated revised guidelines, relating to E-commerce
companies has been excluded. In this regard I would like to clarify that
while operations of e-commerce companies for non-essential goods
stands prohibited, however they will continue to operate for essential
goods as has been allowed earlier and continue to be allowed under
clause 13(i) of these guidelines.
3. You are therefore requested to clarify this to all the field agencies
and also adequately disseminate amongst the general public so as to
ensure smooth movement of the entire supply chain of essential goods,
including by e-commerce. The guidelines/ Orders issued by the State
Governments / UT Administration in pursuance to MHA Orders may please
be suitably modified to reflect the correct position.
To, The Administrators of Union Territories.
(As per list attached)