Medical benefits to dependent parents of employees
For availing of medical facilities under Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS), parents are deemed to be dependent on the Central Government employee if they are normally residing with the employee and their monthly income from all sources including pension/ family pension does not exceed Rs. 9,000 plus the amount of Dearness Relief thereon. This condition of dependency is applicable to Pensioners of State Government(s) as well.
Regarding any scheme for providing medical facility to the dependent parents of employees of private sector, The Employees’ State Insurance (ESI) Act, 1948 read with ESI (Central) Rule, 1950 provides for medical benefits to the dependent parents of the Insured person i.e. an employee who works in a factory/ establishment having 10 or more workers & registered under the said Act and drawing salary less than Rs. 21,000 per month (Rs. 25,000 in case of persons with disability). Income limit for dependency of parents from all sources is Rs. 9,000 per month.
The ESI Act is not applicable to Central Government employees and their dependents.
The Minister of State (Health and Family Welfare), Sh Ashwini Kumar Choubey stated this in a written reply in the Lok Sabha here today.
Latest CGHS News Updates
- Suggestions are Invited to Improve Services and Make CGHS Beneficiary Friendly October 17, 2019
- CGHS Scheme has Potential of Becoming One of the Best in the World October 16, 2019
- CGHS Status of Reimbursement Medical Claim Bill of Pensioner October 14, 2019
- CGHS for NPS Pensioners – NC JCM writes to remove the condition of minimum 10 years service September 28, 2019
- Paramount Charity Trust – New HCO Added for 2 years under CGHS September 16, 2019
- Postal Dispensary becomes Wellness Centre in Dibrugarh August 22, 2019
- Issue of OPD Medicines for 6 Months to CGHS Beneficiaries August 21, 2019
- CGHS Empanelment Ayushman Hospital & Health Services Suspended August 19, 2019