Include UIDAI Aadhaar in Govt. Service Books
The Indian government has made it compulsory to include the Aadhaar number, which is a unique identification number issued by UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India), in the service book of all government servants. This move is aimed at ensuring transparency and accuracy in the record-keeping of government employees and to prevent fraudulent activities. The inclusion of the Aadhaar number in the service book will also facilitate the efficient and seamless delivery of government services to its citizens.
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
New Delhi, dated 2/12/2016
The General Manager(s),
Zonal Railways &
Production Units, etc
Sub: Inclusion of Aadhaar number (Unique Identification issued by UIDAI) in Service Book of Government servants.
As Railway administrations are aware, in terms of extant rules/instructions every event in a Government servants’ official life must be recorded in his Service Book and each entry is to be attested by the Head of office.
2. An extract of Paras 1234 and 1235 of the ‘Indian Railway Administration and Finance Code’ which provides that the Heads of offices are to obtain signatures of the Railway servants in token of them having inspected their Service Books annually is reproduced below:-
“1234. Scrutiny by Employees: It shall be the duty of every Head of Office in initiate action to show the Service Books to railway servants governed by pension rules under his administrative control every year and to obtain their signature therein in token of their having inspected the Service Books.
A certificate to the effect that he has done so in respect of the preceding financial year should be submitted by him to his next superior officer by the end of every September. The railway servants shall inter-alia ensure before affixing their signature that their services have been duly verified and certified as such. In the case of a railway servant on foreign service, his signature shall be obtained in his Service Book after the Accounts Officer has made threin necessary entries connected with his foreign service.
1235. The scrutiny of his Service Book by the railway servant concerned, must be made in the presence of a responsible official. As a token of his scrutiny and acceptance of entries in the Service Book the railway servant should sign in the relevant column of the Service Book and official who supervised the scrutiny will also endorse his signature as evidence that scrutiny was conducted under proper supervision and the supervising officer is satisfied that it was bona fide and no unauthorized changes were made in the entries in the Service Book in the course of such scrutiny.”
3. Furthermore, Rule 47 of the Railway Services (Pension) Rules 1993 provides for issuing a communication on completion of 18 years of service and five years before retirement, as part of preparatory work for sanctioning pensionary benefits.
4. Besides aforesaid directives, pursuant to Government of India’s instructions, it has also been decided that Aadhaar numbers of all Railway Servants should be included in their Service Book.
5. Therefore, all Zonal Railways/Production Units etc, are directed to ensure that the Service Book of all employees have an entry of the employee’s Aadhaar number. Immediate necessary action in this regard may please be taken and the number of employees whose Service Books have been seeded with their respective Aadhaar number may be intimated to Board’s office within a month’s time.
6. In this connection, attention of Zonal Railways is invited to Board’s letter No. 2015/ED/ERP/UIDAI/01 dated 21/7/2016 wherein Railways/Production Units were directed to arrange for Aadhaar numbers and field units are expected to have taken action already.
7. This issues with the concurrence of the Finance Dte.
8. Please acknowledge receipt.
9. Hindi version will follow.
Dy.Director Estt. (Genl.)
What is the Aadhaar number?
The Aadhaar number is a 12-digit unique identification number that is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
Why is the government including Aadhaar number in the Service Book of government servants?
The government is including the Aadhaar number in the Service Book of government servants to facilitate the delivery of various services and benefits to them.
Who is eligible to include their Aadhaar number in their Service Book?
All government servants who have been issued an Aadhaar number can include it in their Service Book.
Is it mandatory to include Aadhaar number in the Service Book of government servants?
No, it is not mandatory to include the Aadhaar number in the Service Book of government servants. However, it is highly recommended to do so in order to benefit from various services and benefits.
How can government servants include their Aadhaar number in their Service Book?
Government servants can include their Aadhaar number in their Service Book by providing it to their respective departments. The department will then update the Service Book accordingly.