Grant of Child Care Leave to women Government employees – Clarification issued by DOPT
G.I., Dept. of Per. & Trg., O.M.No.13018/2/2008-Estt.(L), dated 29.9.2008
Grant of Child Care Leave to women Government employees – Clarification
The undersigned is directed to refer to para 1(c) of this Department’s O.M. of even number dated 11th September 2008 according to which Child Care Leave can be granted to women employees having minor children below the age of 18 years, for a maximum period of 2 years (i.e. 730 days) during their entire service, for taking care of upto two children whether for rearing or to look after any of their needs like examination, sickness etc. The question as to whether child care leave would be admissible for the third child below the age of 18 years and the procedure for grant of child care leave have been under consideration in this Department, and it has now been decided as follows:-
1. Child Care Leave shall be admissible for two eldest surviving children only.
2. The leave account for child care leave shall be maintained in the proforma enclosed, and it shall be kept along with the Service Book of the Government servant concerned.
Child Care Leave: Subject to the provisions of this rule, a female Government servant and single male Government servant may be granted child care leave by an authority competent to grant leave for a maximum period of seven hundred and thirty days during entire service for taking care of two eldest surviving children, whether for rearing or for looking after any of their needs, such as education, sickness and the like.
For the purposes of sub-rule (1), “child” means—
A child below the age of eighteen years: or
An offspring of any age with a minimum disability of forty percent as specified in the Government of India in Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment’s Notification No. 16-18/97-N 1.1, dated the 1st June 2001.
Grant of child care leave to a female Government servant and a single male Government servant under sub-rule (1) shall be subject to the following conditions, namely:- (DOPT Notification No. 11020/01/2017-Estt. (L), dated 11.12.2018)
(i) it shall not be granted for more than three spells in a calendar year;
(ii) in case of a single female Government servant, the grant of leave in three spells in a calendar year shall be extended to six spells in a calendar year.
(iii) it shall not ordinarily be granted during the probation period except in case of certain extreme situations where the leave sanctioning authority is satisfied about the need of child care leave to the probationer, provided that the period for which such leave is sanctioned is minimal.
(iv) child care leave may not be granted for a period less than five days at a time.
During the period of child care leave, a female Government servant and a single male Government servant shall be paid one hundred percent of the salary for the first three hundred and sixty-five days, and at eighty percent of the salary for the next three hundred and sixty-five days.
EXPLANATION: Single Male Government servant’ means – an unmarried or widower or divorcee Government servant.
Child care leave may be combined with leave of any other kind.
Notwithstanding the requirement of production of medical certificate contained in sub-rule (1) of Rule 30 or sub-rule (1) of Rule 31, leave of the kind due and admissible (including Commuted Leave not exceeding sixty days and Leave Not Due) up to a maximum of one year, if applied for, be granted in continuation with child care leave granted under sub-rule (1).
Child care leave shall not be debited against the leave account.
List of other reference orders issued by DOPT
- Introduction of Child Care Leave in respect of Central Government employees – Dopt Orders issued on 11.9.2008
- Grant of Child Care Leave to women Government employees – Clarification issued by DOPT
- CCL cannot be demanded as a matter of right – Dopt
- Deduction of Child Care Leave – Confusion clarified by Dopt on 2.12.2008
- Dopt delete the condition of ‘No EL’ at her credit for Child Care Leave
- Clarification as FAQ by DOPT on Child Care Leave
- Permit Child Care Leave to women employees with disabled children upto the age of 22 years – Dopt Orders on 3.3.2010
- Minimum Period of 15 days for availing CCL – Removal order issued by DOPT on 5.6.2014
Also Check: Central Government Pay Matrix Table 2022 PDF