Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) clarified on 30th March 2020 through an office memorandum the payment of stipend to apprentices and reimbursement of stipend to establishments under NAPS during COVID 19 lockdown period.
Government of India
Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
2nd Floor, PTI Building,
Sansads Marg, New Delhi- 110001
Subject: Clarification on payment of stipend to apprentices and reimbursement of stipend to establishments under NAPS during COVID-19 lockdown
As per reference of Apprentices Act, 1961 amended up to 2014 and Apprenticeship Rules, 1992 amended up to 2019. Sub-rule 2(b) of Rule 7 states that if a trade apprentice is unable to complete the period of apprenticeship training due to strike or lockout or layoff in an establishment where he is undergoing training and is not instrumental for the same, the period of his apprenticeship training shall be extended for a period equal to the period of strike or lockout or layoff, as the case maybe, and shall be paid stipend during the period of such strike or lockout or layoff or for a maximum period of six months, whichever is less.
2. In view of the above, as per the lockdown imposed by Government of India due to COVID 19 pandemic, all establishments shall pay full stipend as applicable to the apprentices engaged in their respective establishments under both designated and optional trade during this time period. Further, reimbursement of stipend to establishments under National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme (NAPS) shall be paid by the Government for the lockdown period as per the NAPS guidelines.
3. This issues with approval from competent authority
- Revised Rates of Stipend as per 7th CPC – Railway Board Orders
- Stipend of Gentlemen or Lady Cadets Under Training
- 7th CPC Stipend Rates for Railway Apprentices
- Revision of rates of stipend to apprentices and trainees on Railways