Significant Requirements for Transitioning from OPS to NPS
The government has provided clarity on the significant requirements for transitioning from OPS (old pension scheme) to NPS (new pension scheme).
The Department of Posts has recently passed an order that allows Central Govt Employees appointed before 22.12.2003 to switch from the National Pension Scheme to the CCS (pension) rules. According to the order, employees who were appointed for posts that were advertised or had a recruitment notification prior to December 22, 2003 are included. However, there is ambiguity around the term “Against the Posts” that requires further clarification. This move will ensure that the employees receive pension benefits under the new scheme. The deadline to exercise this option is 31.08.2023. To know more about this new pension scheme for Central Govt Employees, download the PDF today.
Government of India
Ministry of Communications
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, Sansad Marg,
New Delhi 110001
1. All Chief Postmaster General/Postmasters General
2. CGM, BD Directorate/Parcel Directorate/PLI Directorate
3. Director, Rafi Ahmed Kidwai National Postal Academy, Ghaziabad
4. Addl. Director General, Army Postal Service, New Delhi
5. Directors Postal Training Centres
Subject: Coverage under Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, in place of National Pension System (NPS), of those Central Government employees who were recruited against the posts/vacancies advertised/notified for recruitment, on or before 22.12.2003
The undersigned is directed to forward herewith Department of Pensions and Pension welfare OM No. 57/05/2021-P&PW (B) dated 03.03.2023 on the above-mentioned subject.
2. It has been conveyed that in order to extend the benefit of the pension scheme under CCS (pension) rules 1972 (now 2021) to such employees whose appointment was made against the posts/vacancies advertised/notifies for recruitment prior to the date of notification for national Pension Scheme i.e. 22.12.2003, options shall be exercised by such employees before 31.08.2023.
3. It is therefore, requested to circulate the guidelines and instructions contained in the DOPPW’s OM dated 03.03.2023 to all concerned under your control and take necessary action accordingly. However, the cases of IPoS Group ‘A’ officers and other officers whose cadre Controlling Authority is in the Postal Directorate and who are covered under the instructions contained in the said OM may be forwarded alongwith options of the officers to the undersigned.
Asstt. Director General (SPG)
Latest Updates Related to NPS to OPS
- Old Pension Scheme for Central Govt Employees Recruited on or before 22.12.2003
- Clarification on NPS Under Income Tax Act 1961
- NPS Govt Contribution Rate 14% of Basic Pay + DA
- Agitational Programme for Scrapping of NPS and Restoration of OPS – Confederation
- Clarification on Provisions Under Income Tax Pertaining to NPS
- Opportunity to switch from NPS to OPS with a one-time choice – NC JCM Staff Side
- NPS to OPS Option for Certain Central Government Employees Last Date 31.8.2023
What does the government clarify regarding transitioning from OPS to NPS?
The government clarifies on the significant requirements for transitioning from OPS to NPS.
Who is eligible for coverage under Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules?
Central Government employees who were recruited against the posts/vacancies advertised/notified for recruitment on or before 22.12.2003 are eligible for coverage under Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules.
What is the benefit being extended to eligible employees?
The benefit of the pension scheme under CCS (pension) rules 1972 (now 2021) is being extended to eligible employees.
When should eligible employees exercise their options?
Eligible employees should exercise their options before 31.08.2023.
Where can the guidelines and instructions be found?
The guidelines and instructions can be found in the DOPPW’s OM dated 03.03.2023.