Admission Guidelines for KV Schools with effect from Academic Session 2016 -17
KENDRIYA VIDYALAYA SANGATHAN – GUIDELINES FOR ADMISSION IN KENDRIYA VIDYALAYAS
1. In supersession of all the guidelines governing admissions in Kendriya Vidyalayas that have been issued in the past, the following guidelines are issued to regulate admissions in the Kendriya Vidyalayas with effect from the academic session 2014-15. These guidelines are not applicable to Kendriya Vidyalayas located abroad.
Unless the context suggests otherwise, the definition of the following terms used in these guidelines would be as below:-
(i) CENTRAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES: An employee who draws his emoluments from the consolidated fund of India.
(ii) TRANSFERABLE: An employee who has been transferred at least once in the preceding 7 years shall be deemed to be transferable.
(iii) TRANSFER: An employee would be treated as transferred only if he/she has been transferred by the competent authority from one place/urban agglomeration to another place/urban agglomeration which is at a distance of at least 20 kms. and minimum period of stay at a place should be six months.
(iv) AUTONOMOUS BODIES / PUBLIC SECTOR UNDERTAKINGS:
Organizations which are fully financed by the government or where the government share is more than 51 per cent would be deemed to be autonomous bodies/ public sector undertakings.
3. PRIORITIES IN ADMISSION
The following priorities shall be followed in granting admissions:-
(A) KENDRIYA VIDYALAYAS UNDER CIVIL/DEFENCE SECTOR:
1. Children of transferable and non-transferable Central government employees and children of ex- servicemen. This will also include children of Foreign National officials, who come on deputation or transfer to India on invitation by Govt. of India.
2. Children of transferable and non-transferable employees of Autonomous Bodies / Public Sector Undertaking/Institute of Higher Learning of the Government of India.
3. Children of transferable and non-transferable State Government employees.
4. Children of transferable and non-transferable employees of Autonomous Bodies/ Public Sector Undertakings/Institute of Higher Learning of the State Governments.
5. Children from any other category including the children of Foreign Nationals who are located in India due to their work or for any personal reasons. The children of Foreign Nationals would be considered only in case there are no Children of Indian Nationals waitlisted for admission.
Note: Preference in Admission to wards will be based on the number of transfers of the parents in the last 7 years.
(B) KENDRIYA VIDYALAYAS UNDER PUBLIC SECTOR UNDERTAKINGS/ INSTITUTES OF HIGHER LEARNING:
1. Children and grandchildren of employees of the Project Sector/Institutes of Higher Learning which are the sponsors of the Vidyalaya, Children of Project employees & Post Graduate students who are working on long term research projects, Children of regular Council of Wardens (COW) employees and children and grand children of retired employees.
Note: Preference in Admission will be given to children of serving employees, grand children of serving employees and children and grand children of retired employees in that order.
2. Children of transferable and non-transferable Central government employees and children of ex- servicemen. This will also include children of Foreign National officials, who come on deputation or transfer to India on invitation by Govt. of India.
3. Children of transferable and non-transferable employees of Autonomous Bodies/Public Sector Undertaking/Institute of Higher Learning of the Government of India.
4. Children of transferable and non-transferable State Government employees.
5. Children of transferable and non-transferable employees of Autonomous Bodies/ Public Sector Undertakings/Institute of Higher Learning of the State Governments.
6. Children from any other category including the children of Foreign Nationals who are located in India due to their work or for any personal reasons. The Children of Foreign Nationals would be considered only in case there are no children of Indian Nationals waitlisted for admission.
Note: Preference in Admission to wards will be granted based on the number of transfers of the parents in the last 7 years.
4. ELIGIBLE AGE FOR ADMISSION
A Child must be 5 years old as on 31st March in the academic year in which admission is sought for Class I.(Child born on 1st April should also be considered.)
A. The minimum and maximum age limit for admission in Kendriya Vidyalayas in various classes is given below:
Note: The maximum age limit can be relaxed by two years in case of Physically Challenged children by the Principal.
B. There is no age restriction for admission to Class XI provided the student is seeking admission in the year of passing Class X examination. Similarly, there will be no upper & lower age limit for admission to class XII provided there has been no break in the continuous study of the student after passing class XI.
5. CLASS STRENGTH AND COMPETENT AUTHORITIES
6. RESERVATIONS IN ADMISSION
A. SCHEDULED CASTE AND SCHEDULED TRIBE CATEGORY
15% seats for Scheduled Caste and 7.5% seats for Scheduled Tribes shall be reserved in all fresh admissions in all Kendriya Vidyalayas.
B. PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED CATEGORY
3% seats of total available seats for fresh admission will be horizontally reserved for Differently Abled-children as per the provisions of RTE Act, 2009 read in conjunction with Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.
7. ADMISSION WITH KV TRANSFER CERTIFICATE INCLUDING LOCAL TRANSFER (TC).
(i) Admission of children with KV TC will be automatic (over and above Class strength) if the parent has been transferred from one station to another. When the class strength reaches 55, the efforts should be initiated to open additional sections.
(ii) Defence personnel and Para-military Forces who shift their families to a station of their choice whenever they are transferred to some non-family areas or posted in Naxal affected areas, can admit their children on KV TC in a KV located at the station where they will keep their family.
(iii) In all other cases where transfer of the parent is not involved, the admission with KV TC would be done only with the prior approval of the Deputy Commissioner of the region concerned.
(iv) All cases of local transfer on KV TC will be done with the approval of DC concerned on merit.
(v) A student with KV TC may also be permitted in project KVs only up to class strength of 45 with the prior concurrence of Chairman, VMC. Beyond this no admission on KV TC would be done in project schools. However, Deputy Commissioner of the region is empowered to allow admission in the project/nearest KV in extremely deserving cases.
8. EQUIVALENCE OF N.I.O.S / STATE BOARDS / ICSE FOR ADMISSION IN CLASS XI IN KENDRIYA VIDYALAYAS
The students of State Boards/ICSE/NIOS where marks are awarded be considered for admission in class XI if vacancies exist. The marks awarded in various subjects are considered against the corresponding Grade awarded by CBSE.
* Marks of different subjects are to be converted into grades as per CBSE norms as given below:
Conversion of marks into Grades:
9. ADMISSION FOR CLASS X AND XII
Admissions to class X & XII, other than KV students, will be entertained subject to availability of vacancies. Such admissions to class X and XII will be considered by the Deputy Commissioner of the Region concerned, only if, the average strength in class X/XII is below 40.This will further be subject to the following conditions:
i) The child has been in the same course of studies i.e. in a CBSE-affiliated school.
ii) For Class X, the child must have obtained not less than 6.5 CGPA in class IX (CGPA be calculated as per formula applied by CBSE in class X). For admission to class XII, 55% marks in class XI examination is mandatory.
iii) The child should OTHERWISE be eligible as per KVS admission guidelines.
iv) The combinations of subjects opted by the student are available in Kendriya Vidyalayas.
10. ADMISSION OF CHILDREN STUDYING ABROAD
A KV Student, who went abroad with his parents on their deputation to a foreign country, will be admitted to corresponding class on their return to India by the Principal of Kendriya Vidyalaya concerned.
Note: In case of any issue related to the interpretation of admission Guidelines, the decision of Commissioner KVS, will be final.