6th CPC Classification of Posts – Dopt Orders dt. 17.4.2009
Classification of posts under the CCS (CCA) Rules, 1965
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
(Department of Personnel and Training)
North Block, New Delhi,
Dated the 17th April, 2009
Subject: Classification of posts under the CCS (CCA) Rules, 1965
Under the Central Civil Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1965, all Central Government posts are classified into four categories, viz., Groups “A”, “B”, “C” and “D”. This classification at present is based on the norms prescribed by the Department of Personnel and Training vide S.O. 332(E) dated 20.04.1998 published in the Gazette of India Extraordinary.
2. As per clause (4) of the Central Civil Services (Revised Pay) Rules, 2008 notified vide notification No G.S.R. 622(E) dated 29.8.2008, the pay band and grade pay or the pay scales, as applicable, of every post/grade specified against it in columns 5 and 6 thereof.
Consequent upon the notification of the said rules, it has become necessary to prescribe revised norms for categorization of posts into the above mentioned four categories based on the pay band and grade pay or the pay scales as applicable, as approved by the Government.
Accordingly, an Order classifying the various Central Civil Services posts into Group “A”, “B” “C” and “D” based on the revised norms of pay has been notified in the Gazette of India Extraordinary vide S.O. 946(E) dated 09.04.2006.
A copy of the Order is enclosed. All posts in the Central Civil Services would now stand classified strictly in accordance with the norms of pay band and grade pay or pay scales as prescribed in the said Order.
4. In some Ministries/Departments, posts may exist which are not classified as per the norms laid down by this Department.
If, for any specific reason, a Ministry/Department proposes to classify the posts differently, if would be necessary for that Department to send a specific proposal to Department of Personnel and Training giving full justification in support of the proposal within three months of this O.M. so that the exceptions to the norms of classification laid down in S.O. 946(E) dated 09-04-2009 can be notified.
Deputy Secretary to the Government of India
Central Government Orders on Classification of Posts…
- 7th CPC Classification of Posts – Gazette Notification (9.8.2018) – Click to read
- 6th CPC Classification of Posts – Dopt Orders dt. 17.4.2009 – Click to read
- Classification of Civil Posts – DoPT OM dt.8.12.2017 – Click to read
- 7th CPC Classification of Posts – Gazette Notification dt.9.11.2017 – Click to read
- Classification of posts in the CCS (Leave) Rules, 1972 – Clarification – 9.3.2015 – Click to read
- NC Staff Side suggestion on Classification of Posts to 7th CPC – Click to read
- Classification of Posts as per 5th, 6th CPC and 7th CPC – Grouping of Posts – Click to read
Click to View All Pay Matrix Tables
Children Education Allowance & Hostel Subsidy - All Guidelines