Pongal is a traditional festival that has been celebrated for thousands of years in southern India, particularly in Tamilnadu. There are numerous references to the Pongal festival in Tamil literature.
Pongal celebration starts with sweet Pongal. This dish is made with Jaggery only, not white sugar. It also used milk, coconut, and dal. It is also called Sakkarai Pongal.
The harvest festival is celebrating in four days in Tamilnadu. The first day is Bhogi Pongal. And the second day is the Pongal, the main worship of thanks to nature with the whole family and with cows. Surya Pongal is the worship of nature. The third day of Mattu Pongal, the day when cows are a part of the family. The fourth day is Kaanum Pongal, full joy with all entertainment.
In Tamilnadu, all state and central government offices, post offices, banks, IT companies, Private organizations, Schools, Colleges and Universities shall remain closed on the day of the Pongal Festival.
Also check: Tamil Nadu Government Holidays 2020
When is Pongal Festival in Tamilnadu 2020
- Bhogi Pongal Festival – 14 January 2020 (Tuesday)
- Surya Pongal Festival – 15 January 2020 (Wednesday)
- Mattu Pongal Festival – 16 January 2020 (Thursday)
- Kaanum Pongal Festival – 17 January 2020 (Wednesday)
List of Long Weekends in 2020
- Pongal Weekends Holidays in Tamilnadu – 15 Jan 2020 to 19 Jan 2020
- Maha Shivaratri – 21 Feb 2020 to 23 Feb 2020
- Vaisakhi (Vishu) – 11 Apr to 13 Apr 2020
- Raksha Bandhan 1 Aug 2020 to 3 Aug 2020
- Dussehra – 23 Oct 2020 to 26 Oct 2020
Also check: CG Offices Holiday List 2020 – PDF Download
Pongal Date 2020 Tamil Calendar (Thai matham)
- 4 Saturdays: 4.1.2020, 11.1.2020, 18.1.2020 and 25.1.2020
- 4 Sundays: 5.1.2020, 12.1.2020, 19.1.2020 and 26.1.2020
- 3 Public Holidays: 1.1.2020, 15.1.2020 and 17.1.2020
- Total 31 Days
- Starting with Wednesday and ends with Friday