Grant of Vigilance Clearance Certificate for Obtaining Passport – DoPT issued orders on 18.2.2020
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pension
Department of Personnel & Training
Establishment A-Ill Desk
North Block, New Delhi – 110001
Dated 18th February, 2020
Subject: Grant of vigilance clearance for obtaining passport.
The undersigned is directed to refer to this Department’s O.M. of even no. dated 28.03.2018 prescribing the guidelines for grant of vigilance clearance for obtaining passport. The guidelines have been reviewed by this Department in consultation with Central Vigilance Commission and Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
2. MEA has also issued the guidelines for issuance of ordinary Passport to the Government servants vide O.M. No. VI/401/01/05/2014 dated 26.05.2015, wherein procedures to be followed in this regard have been prescribed.
3. In view of the above, it is mandatory for the administrative Department /
Controlling Authority to check as to whether any provision of the Section 6(2) of the Passport Act, 1967 is attracted in case of employees, who are working under them, while obtaining Indian Passport. As such, it is required to check the vigilance clearance of such Government servants.
4. Accordingly, it has been decided that vigilance clearance can be withheld
only under the following circumstances:
- (i) The officer is under suspension;
- (ii) Charge sheet has been filed in a Court by the Investigating Agency in a criminal case or after grant of sanction by the Competent Authority under PC Act or any other criminal matter and taken cognizance of by the Court of Law.
5. All Ministries / Departments / Offices are requested to bring the above guidelines to the notice of all Disciplinary Authorities under their control.
6. This OM is issued in supersession of this Department’s earlier OM. No. 11012/7/2017-Estt.A-III dated 28th March, 2018.
7. Hindi version will follow.
(Umesh Kumar Bhatia)
Deputy Secretary to the Government of India
Top Developments on Passport:
- Post Office Passport Seva Kendras (POPSK) February 20, 2020
- Guidelines for Issuance of Passport to Government Employees – Dopt February 20, 2020
- Grant of vigilance clearance for obtaining passport – DoPT March 30, 2018
- Prior Permission by Government Employees for Private Visits Abroad – Dopt July 28, 2015
- NOC Not Required for Central Government Employees Seeking Passports! June 11, 2015