C and D Group TN Pensioners Receive Pongal Prize
In a heartwarming gesture, the Tamil Nadu government has announced that Pongal prizes will be given to pensioners belonging to C and D groups. The Pongal prize is a special token of appreciation given to government employees during the harvest festival of Pongal. This announcement is sure to bring a smile to the faces of many hardworking pensioners who have dedicated their lives to serving the state. It is a small but significant way to recognize their contributions and show gratitude for their years of service.
Grant of Pongal Prize to ‘C’ and ‘D’ Group Pensioners/All Family Pensioners – TN Government Order
The Tamil Nadu government has issued an order announcing the grant of the Pongal Prize to ‘C’ and ‘D’ Group Pensioners as well as all Family Pensioners. The Pongal Prize is a special monetary reward given to pensioners during the Pongal festival, a traditional harvest festival celebrated in Tamil Nadu. This generous gesture is aimed at acknowledging the valuable contributions and services rendered by these pensioners to the government and society as a whole.
Government of Tamil Nadu 2021
FINANCE (PENSION) DEPARTMENT
G.O.Ms.No.02, Dated 4th January 2021
(Sarvari, Margazhi-20, Thiruvalluvar Aandu 2051)
Pongal Festival, 2021 – Grant of Pongal Prize to ‘C’ and ‘D’ Group Pensioners/All Family Pensioners – Orders – Issued.
Read the following:-
1. G.0.Ms.No.03, Finance (Pension) Department,dated:06-01-2020.
2. G.O.Ms.No.01, Finance (Allowances) Department, dated:04-01-2021.
The Government sanction a lumpsum Pongal Prize amount of Rs.500/- (Rupees Five Hundred only) to all Government Pensioners who retired from the categories of ‘C’ and ‘D’ Group (`C’ and D’ Group of Scales of Pay (Ordinary Grade) is annexed to this order) including all ‘C’ and ‘D’ Group of Pensioners of Aided Educational Institutions, Local Bodies, Ex-Village Establishment (Ex-Village Officers and Village Servants / Assistants), ad-hoc Pensioners of all categories (Pensioners those who are drawing special pension of Rs.2,000/- with effect from 1-10-2017 i.e. Noon Meal Organisers, Anganwadi Workers, Mini Anganwadi Workers, Cooks, Cook Assistants, Anganwadi Helpers, Panchayat Secretaries, Village Librarian, Sweepers / Sanitary Workers / Scavengers, Plot Watchers, Anti-poaching Watchers, Police Station Cleaners, Ayah) and to all Family Pensioners irrespective of the Groups from which the Pensioners / Deceased Government employee had retired / died while in service.
2. This order shall also be applicable to all ‘C’ and ‘D’ Group provisional pensioners. The Pongal Prize amount shall not be admissible to those employees who retire on or after 04-01-2021.
3. Those who have retired/died in harness on or after 06.01.2020 are not eligible for the Pongal Prize amount if they are paid Adhoc Bonus as per the orders issued in the Government Order second read above. For this purpose, the Pension Disbursing Officers shall obtain non-drawal certificates from the departments concerned before making payment to these Pensioners.
4. This order is not applicable to the following categories of pensioners:-
(i) Special Pensioners such as Ulema Pensioners, State Freedom Fighters Pensioners and Social Pension for Scholars and Eminent persons, etc.
(ii) Family Pensioners who are appointed on compassionate grounds if adhoc bonus/special adhoc bonus is paid to them as applicable to the employees in service.
(iii) All Pensioners who retired from Group ‘A’ and ‘B’ posts including All India Service Officers and Officers governed by University Grants Commission (UGC) / All India Council for Technical Education (AICTS) / Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) Regulations.
5. The Government also direct that the procedure indicated below shall be followed for disbursement of Pongal Prize amount in respect of Pensioners/Family Pensioners coming under the pension Pilot Scheme.
(i) In respect of those Pensioners / Family Pensioners to whom pension/family pension is sent by Money order at Government cost, the Pongal Prize amount also shall be sent by Money Order at the Government cost.
(ii) In respect of Pensioners/Family Pensioners to whom pension/family pension is paid through Banks,
(a) In Pension Pay Office, Chennai and District Treasuries/Sub-Treasuries where the cheque system of payment of bills/Electronic Clearing System is in vogue, the pension pay officer, Chennai and District Treasury Officers/Sub Treasury Officers are permitted to issue cheques and send the cheques to the respective paying branches of the bank with a covering list of Pensioners/Family Pensioners for crediting the amount to the pensioners/family pensioners savings bank account.
(b) As regards Banking Sub-Treasuries where the cheque system of payment of bills/Electronic Clearing System is not in vogue, the Sub-Treasury Officers are permitted to get Banker’s cheque/Bank draft and send them to the respective Pensioners for crediting the amount to the pensioners/family pensioners savings bank account.
6. In respect of pensioners/family pensioners coming under the public sector bank scheme, all public sector banks are authorized to credit the lumpsum amount to the C & D pensioners to the pensioners/family pensioners account.
7. In respect of pensioners/family pensioners for whom expenditure is met from State Consolidated Fund, the expenditure shall be debited to the following head of account:
“2071. Pension and other Retirement Benefits – 01. Civil 800 Other Expenditure states Expenditure AF. Pongal Prize to Pensioners and Family Pensioners 327 Pensions 09 Others.
OLD: (D.P.C 2071 01 800 AF 2799)
IFHRMS: (D.P.C.2071 01 800 AF 32709)
In respect of payment of pongal prize to Ex-village officers, the expenditure shall be debited to the following head of account
“2071 pension and Other Retirement Benefits – 01 Civil 800 Other Expensiture- State’s Expenditure – AK Other Expenditure Pongal Prize to Ex-Village Officers 327 pensions 09 Others.
OLD: (D.P.C.2071 01 800 AK 2799)
IFHRMS: (D.P.C.2071 01 800 AK 32709)”
8. In respect of Pensioners (‘C’ and ‘D’ Group) /Family Pensioners of Local Bodies for whom expenditure is met from the fund maintained by the Director of Local Fund Audit or Municipal Funds, as the case may be, the expenditure shall be met from the respective funds. In respect of Special Pensioners of Noon Meal Organisers, Anganwadi Workers, Mini Anganwadi Workers, Cooks, Cook Assistants and Anganwadi Helpers, the Block Development Officers / Child Development Project Officer concerned shall debit the expenditure under the head of account mentioned in para-7 above.
9. The Pongal Prize amount sanctioned above shall be paid to the eligible Pensioners/Family Pensioners and Ex-Village Officers immediately.
10. Necessary provisions have been made under the relevant head of account in Budget Estimate 2020-2021.
(BY ORDER OF THE GOVERNOR)
Dr. M. SAI KUMAR
ADDITIONAL CHIEF SECRETARY TO GOVERNMENT (FAC)
What is the Pongal Prize?
The Pongal Prize is a special bonus provided to the pensioners in Tamil Nadu during the festival of Pongal.
Who is eligible to receive the Pongal Prize?
C and D Group TN Pensioners are eligible to receive the Pongal Prize.
Is the Pongal Prize a mandatory payment?
No, the Pongal Prize is a discretionary payment made by the Tamil Nadu government to recognize and appreciate the contributions of its pensioners.
How much is the Pongal Prize for C and D Group TN Pensioners?
The amount of the Pongal Prize varies each year and is announced by the Tamil Nadu government.
How is the Pongal Prize disbursed to the pensioners?
The Pongal Prize is disbursed through the respective pension paying authorities to the bank accounts of the pensioners.