Official dealings between the Administration and Members of Parliament and State legislatures – Observances of proper procedure.
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
North Block, New Delhi
Dated November 19th , 2014
Subject: Official dealings between the Administration and Members of Parliament and State legislatures — Observance of proper procedure.
The Members of Parliament and State Legislatures as the accredited representatives of the people occupy a very important place in our democratic set-up. In connection with their duties, they often find it necessary to seek information from the Ministries/ Departments of the Government of India or the state Governments, or make suggestions for their consideration or ask for interviews with the officers.
2. The guidelines concerning official dealings between Administration and Members of Parliament and State Legislatures have been issued by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions and reiterated from time to time. The provisions of the Central Secretariat Manual of Office Procedure regarding prompt disposal of communications from MPs have also been reiterated from time to time. However, keeping in view the instances of occasional non-observance of the above guidelines, a need was felt by the Committee of Privileges of the Lok Sabha for consolidating and reiterating the existing instructions, Accordingly, revised comprehensive guidelines were issued by this Department vide Office Memorandum No. 11013/4/2011-Estt.(A) dated 1″ December 2011 (copy enclosed). A copy of former Secretary (P)’s D.O. No. 11013/4/2011-Estt.(A) dated 9th October, 2012 reiterating the said instructions is also enclosed for ready reference.
3. The Committee on Violation of Protocol Norms and Contemptuous Behaviour of Government Officers with Members of Lok Sabha in Paragraph 63 of its First Report tabled in the Lok Sabha on 06.02.2014 has recommended that this Department may sensitise all civil servants and officials in various Ministries and Departments particularly under them for strict compliance of the instructions relating to official dealings issued in this regard between the Administration and the Members of Parliament.
4. The Committee on Violation of Protocol Norms and Contemptuous Behaviour of Government Officers with Members of Lok Sabha at its first sitting held on 28 October, 2014, also felt that the consolidated instructions/ guidelines issued by the Department of Personnel & Training (DoPT) on 1 December, 2011 on Official Dealing between Administration and Members of Parliament need to be again circulated to all concerned Executive Functionaries.
5. All Ministries/ Departments are requested to ensure that the above basic principles and instructions are followed by all officials concerned, both in letter in spirit. Violation of the guidelines laid down on this subject will be viewed seriously.
6. Chief Secretaries of all States/ UTs are requested to circulate these instructions to all State Government officials at the State/ Division and District levels and to periodically review implementation.
(J . Vaidyanathan)
Click to View All Pay Matrix Tables
Children Education Allowance & Hostel Subsidy - All Guidelines