Compassionate ground appointments in Public Sector Banks
ALL INDIA BANK EMPLOYEES’ ASSOCIATION
Central Office: “PRABHAT NIVAS” Regn. No.2037
Singapore Plaza, 164, Linghi Chetty Street, Chennai-600001
Phone: 2535 1522 Fax: 4500 2191, 2535 8853
e mail ~ [email protected] & [email protected]
CIRCULAR LETTER No.27/200/2016/33
TO ALL OFFICE BEARERS, STATE FEDERATIONS AND
ALL INDIA BANKWISE ORGANISATIONS:
Reg: Compassionate ground appointments in the Banks
Units are aware that despite the guidelines from the Government of India, some of the Banks are not implementing the scheme on compassionate ground appointment properly both in regard to eligibility and also on relaxations in qualifications.
In the Associate Banks, even the Govt. guidelines have not been placed before the Boards of the respective Banks and unilateral instructions of the SBI are being adhered to whereby compassionate ground appointments are being denied.
From AIBEA we have taken up the matter with the Finance Minister. Arising out of the recent UFBU meeting, UFBU also has addressed a letter to the Finance Minister and same is reproduced herein for the information of our units.
UFBU Letter to Finance Minister
Date: 21st May, 2016
Shri Arun Jaitley,
Hon’ble Minister of Finance,
Government of India, New Delhi.
SCHEME FOR COMPASSIONATE APPOINTMENT IN PUBLIC SECTOR BANKS
We are thankful to you for restoring the Compassionate Appointment Scheme in Public Sector Banks (PSBs) vide your letter D.O.F.No.18/2/2013-IR dated the 7th August 2014, conveying the approval of the Government to open the Compassionate Appointment in PSBs on the lines of Central Government with a request to the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) to take appropriate action to circulate the revised scheme to all PSBs for adoption with the approval of their respective Boards.
Further, the decision of the Government was conveyed by Ministry of Finance vide letter F.No.18/2/2013-IR dated 05.12.2014 that all PSBs can have both the options i.e., compassionate appointment or payment of lumpsum ex-gratia amount.
2. It will note be out of context to mention here that the issue of restoration of compassionate appointment scheme in Public Sector Banks (PSBs) has been under discussions between UFBU and IBA since the last ten years and in accordance with the suggestion of Department of Financial Services, a joint proposal on broad parameters was submitted by IBA for approval of the Government.
The sustained struggle by UFBU ended with your kind intervention resulting in approval as above from the Government of India.
3. However, we are shocked to observe that the managements of some of the banks have unilaterally decided to continue, with certain modifications, the scheme for compassionate appointment in exceptional circumstances only and the scheme for payment of Ex-gratia Lumpsum Amount in lieu of Compassionate Appointment, totally ignoring the approval of Government of India to open the Compassionate Appointment Scheme in Public Sector Banks (PSBs) on the lines of Central Government.
4. Further, the concessions / relaxations, as provided under the scheme envisaged by the Government, as applicable to Central Government employees, such as exemption from the requirement of minimum educational qualification etc., have not been extended in the Banking Industry, thereby making them ineligible and denying the appointments.
5. The unilateral decisions of the managements as above, is not only total ignorance of the directives of the Government of India to open the Compassionate Appointment Scheme on the lines of Central Government but also deliberate utter disregard to the sustained struggle of bank workmen and officers for nearly a decade in getting the scheme approved by the Government.
6. Hence, we earnestly seek your kind intervention in the matter and arrange to appropriately instruct all the Public Sector Banks, which have not introduced the Compassionate Appointment Scheme on the lines of Central Government, as approved by the Government of India and advised by you and also on provision of concessions / relaxations as applicable to Government employees, under the compassionate appointment scheme.
Please acknowledge receipt of this communication and advise us the developments in this regard.
With best regards
Copy to All Constituent Units of UFBU.