The Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances, and Pensions issued a directive, F. No. 4/34/2017-P&PW (D) dated 31-01-2018, to increase the Fixed Medical Allowance (FMA) for retired Central Government pensioners who reside beyond 2.5 KMs from any CGHS dispensary or any other health unit corresponding to Health units administered by other Ministries/Departments. The allowance was raised from Rs. 500/- to Rs. 1000/- per month in 2018 to cover their daily expenses on medicine. Subsequently, the BSNL Corporate Office also implemented the same for BSNL pensioners. A request to further enhance the FMA from Rs. 1000/- per month to Rs. 3000/- per month is currently pending with the Finance Ministry. The Bharat Pensioners’ Samaj, an All India Federation of Pensioner’s Association, sent a letter to the Finance Minister on April 26, 2023, requesting an expedited decision. The letter’s text is reproduced below for your reference.
BHARAT PENSIONERS’ SAMAJ
(All India Federation of Pensioner’s Association)
(Registered No. 2023 of 1962-63)
Dated 26th April, 2023
Hon’ble Smt. Nirmala Sitaraman,
Finance Minister, Govt. of India,
15, Safdarjung Road,
Sub: A request to expedite decision for enhancing Fixed Medical Allowance from Rs. 1000/- Per Month to Rs. 3000/- PM.
1. That the Parliamentary committee on Pensioner’s Grievance has submitted its 110th report on 10.12.2021; wherein it has been recommended the enhancement vide para3.14, sub Para (iii) “Fixed Medical Allowance may be enhanced from Rs 1000 to Rs 3000 per month since most pensioners are suffering from different diseases at old age and are unable to manage with meager pension as CGHS hospital is not available in every town”.
2. As per Para 2.21 of 120th Action Taken Report, “DoP&PW has taken-up the issue of enhancement of FMA with the Finance Ministry.
3. Now, as we understand the GOI Min of Personnel, Public Grievance& Pensions, DoP&PW F. No. 4/34/2017-P&PW(D dated 31-01-2018 has forwarded the said proposal to your Minister for further decision in the matter.
4. That GOI Min of Personnel, Public Grievance& Pensions, DoP&PW F. No. 4/34/2017-P&PW (D) dated 31-01-2018 had increased it from Rs.500/- to Rs.1000/- per month in the year 2018 to meet the day-to-day expenses on medicines for those retired Central Govt. pensioners who are residing beyond 2.5 KMs from any CGHS dispensary or any other health unit corresponding Health unit administered by other Ministries/Departments. In turn BSNL Corporate Office had also implemented the same for the BSNL Pensioners.
5. For your information, EPFO pensioners get Rs. 2000/- PM since 01.03.2013.
6. Since 2018 till date the FMA is paid per month on the above rates whereas it is established fact that during these six years price index is increased resulting in to rise in prices of medicines which are required by the age pensioners to maintain up their health.
In light of above factual reasons, we request you to kindly expedite decision to enhance Fixed Medical Allowance from Rs 1000 to Rs 3000 per month since most pensioners are suffering from different diseases at old age and are unable to manage with paltry sum of Rs. 1000/- per month.
Your ministry will be aware of the fact that now a day’s our Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendrabhai is also reiterating the stand of govt. showing its concern for Senior citizens. Your sympathetic consideration of the issue will be a boon to all the Pensioners fraternity.
We therefore look forward to your august office for early sympathetic decision in the matter.
- Enhance Fixed Medical Allowance to Rs. 3000 PM | Request to Expedite
- Enhancement of Fixed Medical Allowance from Rs.1000 to 3000
- Change of Option for Fixed Medical Allowance to Railway Pensioners & Family Pensioners
- Fixed Medical Allowance (FMA): Date of retirement or date of application
- Grant of Fixed Medical Allowance (FMA) to Ex-Servicemen – PCDA Circular 616
- Grant of FMA to Central Government Civil Pensioners – PCDA Circular No.C-184
- Fixed Medical Allowance – MoD Orders
- Grant of Fixed Medical Allowance to Central Government Civil Pensioners residing in areas not covered under CGHS
- Grant of Fixed Medical Allowance to Armed Forces Pensioner/Family Pensions – Orders issued by MoD on 29.8.2017
- Fixed Medical Allowance (FMA) to the Railway Pensioners/Family Pensioners